Friday, February 19, 2010

David Lebovitz's Strawberry Frozen Yogurt



Summer is almost around the corner.

And that should be excuse enough to start making ice cream. 

The one thing I don't own is an ice cream maker (not for long) even though I am quite a bit of a kitchen appliance/gadget junkie.

I compulsively and impulsively buy things for my kitchen the way other people buy clothes or shoes.

I'm hopeless, really. 

The lack of an appliance doesn't stop me from making ice cream. Sure: making it without one is more labor intensive and a serious time commitment but worth each minute of effort & all the hours spent whisking, freezing, whisking, freezing and waiting . . 

I have several pounds of strawberries to get through and have been on the lookout for simple strawberry recipes that involve ingredients I already have on hand so that there is no mad rush to the grocery store. 

Today is a lazy day, so anything I made today couldn't possibly require me to do anything but spend most of my time with the hubby & kids all morning.

I finally found just what I was looking for.
David Lebovitz's recipe yields a sweet, tangy, creamy, icy treat. 

Quite simply: everything you want in a frozen yogurt. 

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

450g Strawberries, rinsed, hulled, chopped
2/3 C sugar
1 C full-fat yogurt
1 tsp lemon juice

Toss the chopped strawberries with the sugar in a large bowl. 
Cover and let stand for 2 hours, stirring once in a while in between. 

Combine all the ingredients in a food processor or blender and mix till smooth. 

David recommends straining to get rid of the seeds, if desired, but I didn't. Also, I processed the mixture just  long enough to leave a few tiny chunks of strawberry. 

Cover, chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour. 

Freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions on your ice cream maker. 

If, like me, you don't have an ice cream maker, cover and freeze for one hour.

Take it out. The edges will have frozen, so use a fork to mix everything up from the edges in. Or whisk it again. 

Here's what mine looked like after one hour.


Freeze again for another hour.

Repeat this process 2 more times and then freeze for 4-5 hours.

You've worked really hard & waited long enough, so go on and treat yourself: scoop out a big serving into a large bowl, and dig right in.







9 comments:

Rehna said...

I love it- i cant wait for strawberry season here now so I can try this frozen yogurt out! Impressive photography skills by the way!

Grapefruit said...

Thank you :)

Amanda said...

I know you SAY summer is just around the corner, but it FEELS really far away!! WE still have feet on snow on the ground! But, this does look refreshing and delightful... will have to try it in a few months! :)

Mitch said...

This looks soooo good (and I agree...your photos make this yogurt treat look totally irresistible).

I'd be interested to know if you used whole milk, low-fat or fat-free yogurt for this. I love whole milk Greek yogurt (creamier and more like ice cream) and can't wait to try this recipe using that yogurt.

Yum!

Grapefruit said...

Thanks Amanda!

Mitch - thanks for your comments.
I used regular, whole-milk yogurt for this recipe. I'll go back and edit the recipe to add this info, I forgot while posting it originally.

DocChuck said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Megan said...

This looks so delicious and refreshing-I think you've just convinced me to go out and purchase an ice cream maker!

Grapefruit said...

Thanks Megan - I'm trying to convince myself of the same thing! I've got more ice cream ideas lined up and having an ice cream maker would make life so much easier.

Om Lujain© said...

This looks delicious! Would one be able to do it with skimmed yogurt? would the end result be the same?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails