Thursday, February 11, 2010

Drowning in Cake Balls


Once in a while I get orders for cupcakes (for small parties). Last week, someone called me up and said she wanted 200 cake balls for her party.

Then she called back late on Monday night and said she wanted 400. 

400? By Thursday evening? No sweat. 

The last time I made these cake balls for her, it was a year ago for a Valentines Day party so I went all Bakerella in a rare burst of creativity and presented them in a heart-shaped, fondant-covered cake 'gift box' exactly like Bakerella. Ok, it wasn't as perfect as Bakerella's, but that is beside the point: who can compete with The Bakerella? 

Anyway, the woman who placed the order said she wanted the same thing this year. 

Are you kidding me? How many heart-shaped cakes and mind-boggling amounts of red Fondant would I have to make to accommodate those 400 cake balls! I had to say no to the presentation part. Because the other alternative meant I would turn into Monster-Mom and bite off everyone's heads for the rest of the week while I worked day and night preparing for this order and give everyone around me a hard time while I worked on this order.




I'm completely knackered from all the work I put in last night, & am in fact still in the middle of it . .  so I'll let the pictures do the talking . . 


 
  
  



... and I'll be lazy and direct you over to this tutorial  by Bakerella explaining how these cake balls are made. And an even more detailed one by Pioneer Woman here .

The only difference between hers and mine (apart from the fact that her creations are beautiful) is that mine are made with chocolate cake and that I dipped them in Ganache because chocolate bark/candy melts are not available where I live. 

Post-note: Instead of ganache, use a bag of chocolate chips melted with a tablespoon or two of shortening. This works very well too. 





6 comments:

Rehna said...

These look so good - feel like making them myself this weekend! I think I'd prefer choc ganache over candy melts any day - though you can do alot more with those!

Grapefruit said...

Thanks.
Of course candy melts would be ideal but ganache or even plain chocolate tastes much better ;)

Anonymous said...

I tried making cake balls a few days back and had a hard time coating it because it was my 1st time doing it.Along the process of doing it I came across a technique of how to do it w/o using spoons and forks as suggested by other people.
My daughter took a skewer and inserted it into the cake balls,dipped it into the choc melts and put it onto the lined pan.She took out the skewer and there was a whole made from the removal of the skewer.It was not a pleasant sight and it gave me the idea to dab a dot on it and my problems are solved!I got perfect shaped cake balls..!Try it..and goodluck!

Grapefruit said...

Thanks for your comments Anonymous - I'll try it your way when I make them next time & use melted chocolate.
Thanks for stopping by!

Faryna said...

This looks so yummy! I just got the blog address yesterday, can't seem to put the laptop down and do something else! Looking at all these mouth watering recipes are tempting me to try some! Hope they look as perfect as yours :)

Grapefruit said...

Thanks for stopping by Faryna and for your comments.
As a post-note to this blog post, I'd like to suggest that for dipping the cake balls, you use a cup of chocolate chips & 1 tbsp of vegetable shortening , melted over a double-boiler. Good luck!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails