Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Coffee + Dulce de Leche = Bliss


I woke up this morning to my kids' conspiratorial laughter as they walked along the back of my legs and then used my back as a launching pad to dive on to the mattress, loud yells and all. 

"what are you doing?" (Duh. Wasn't it obvious? But I'm kind of dull in the morning)

"I giving you a'ssage" (I'm giving you a massage) replied the toddler. 

Oh yeah, I love those. Thoughtful kids, huh? 

"Wake up! It's morning! Wake up! We're huuuuuungry"

Children are so cruel. They always wake up earlier than usual when every particle of your being needs that extra hour of sleep; when you feel like a lump of dough as soon as you open your eyes and nothing, not even a superhuman force can will you to move out of the bed and start your day. 

Those are the mornings when you need a crutch. And a little comfort.

I got both via Pioneer Woman's Dulce de Leche Coffee. Pure genius. Now why hadn't I ever thought of using up my dulce de leche this way before? I've made David Lebovitz's coffee popsicles so many times and this is essentially the same thing.

I had everything on hand:
made dulce de leche just last night, since I'm planning to use it in a recipe this weekend. The only other thing I needed was whipped cream and grated chocolate. 

Check.

All you need to do is make a strong cup of coffee and add in about a tablespoon or more of dulce de leche.

Add a little whipped cream and chocolate shavings. And there you have it - dulce de leche coffee.



Here's an easy way to make your own Dulce de Leche:
All you need is one 14-0z can Sweetened Condensed Milk

Pour the contents of the can into a pie dish. Cover it with foil and place in a roasting pan. 

Pour enough boiling water into the roasting pan to come a little more than halfway up the pie dish.

Bake at 435F for 1 hour. 

Remove from oven, cool a little and then beat with a fork till it is smooth. 

Keeps well in the fridge forever. Or at least the month or 6 weeks it takes for me to use it all up.






3 comments:

All Things Considered said...

woooo looks good! I love coffee, I must try this reciepe

Butterfly said...

Looks amazing….yumme!!!

Grapefruit said...

Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails