Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Kenyan Chocolate Tea



I was 16 when I first discovered a box of this loose tea in a store and bought it on a whim, imagining that when I'd make it, it would taste very chocolaty; like a cross between hot chocolate and tea.  

Wrong.

It's just plain black tea with a very mild but definite hint of chocolate. I had no idea back then, how to brew this tea. And I still don't - I just wing it. But it didn't stop me from brewing a pot now and then, buying it each time I saw it on a shelf in a store and even begging a Kenyan colleague, years later, to send me a tin through anyone coming back from Kenya! 
 
It isn't that addictive. Seriously. I don't even know why I like it so much. And I've never known anyone (other than my Kenyan friend) who has even heard of it, let alone anyone who buys it. [btw, it never occurred to me to ask this person how to make this tea :P ]


A couple of months back, yet again, I found a box of 'Kenya Bon Bon Chocolate Tea' staring at me from a shelf in a grocery store. It has been years since I last had this stuff and so I gave in to the temptation, and bought it.

And now here I am, curled up on a couch in my dark, icicle-esque apartment, sipping chocolate tea & thinking about the fact that it rained in my home-town last night and that little nugget of information has made me realize how sorely I miss home & family...
Kenyan Chocolate Tea

1 cup water
1 1/2 tsp chocolate tea leaves
1 cup milk
1 tsp sugar

Pour boiling water over the tea leaves and let them steep for 5 mins in a saucepan. 
Add the milk and sugar to the tea, stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. 
Bring to the boil, strain and serve.





2 comments:

Peanutts said...

Hello, thanks for stopping by at my blog:) , Never heard of kenyan tea, :) , although that cuppa does look very inviting :).

Hijab said...

I found Kenya Bon Bon Chocolate Tea at a store and I couldn't, just couldn't, resist buying it! To make the tea, I Youtube-ed and Nothing! I Google-ed and thankfully I found your article! Shockingly, there is only this One Single recipe on the web, & I loved it! Though next I'm gonna try an Ice-Tea version of the tea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails