Monday, February 01, 2010

Happy Anniversary


Ever since I came across the recipe for Cheesecake with salted butter caramel sauce on Tartelette's blog, I have been dreaming delicious dreams of this cake. And with an anniversary coming up, it seemed I had found the perfect moment to indulge my craving for what sounded and looked like a truly decadent dessert. 

But since I went and completely lost my sense of smell and taste (and no way was I going to make that cheesecake and not enjoy it), I had to settle for making something else. 

I didn't want to make anything too labor intensive since I'm not really up to it like I mentioned in my earlier post today. So, it had to be something simple ... and chocolaty - there's no such thing as too much chocolate, right? Maybe with a hint of orange in the frosting or otherwise... 


I found this recipe for Frosted Choc-Orange Cake in my dog-eared copy of Australian Women's Weekly Cakes and Slices Cookbook. I bought this book as far back as 1996 or 1997 when I had first started learning how to bake. I think  back then I tried at least a couple of recipes out of each category in the book (chocolate, sponges, syrup cakes, quick-mix, banana, vegetable cakes etc.. ). It's a great book for beginners, the instructions are simple and I've always enjoyed whatever recipe I tried except for one disaster with a Potato-Chocolate cake. 


Anyhow, on to the recipe: 


Frosted Choc-Orange Cake

125 g butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp grated orange rind
3 eggs, room temperature
1 3/4 cups self-raising flour
1 1/3  cups castor sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup orange juice
1/4 cup water 


Frosting: 
1 tbsp grated orange rind
1 1/2 cups icing sugar
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp cocoa powder

Preheat oven to 350. 

Grease a 19cm square pan. 


Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, beat on low speed until just combined. Increase speed to medium and beat for about 3 minutes or until the mixture has changed in color and is smooth. 
Pour into prepared pan. 
Bake 1 hour. 
Stand 5 minutes before turning on to wire rack to cool. 


Meanwhile prepare the frosting. 
Beat the butter and orange rind in a small bowl with a mixer until light and fluffy. Gradually beat in sifted icing sugar and milk. 
Divide frosting in half. Stir sifted cocoa into one half and mix well. 
Drop spoonfuls of the two frostings all over the surface of the cake. Swirl with a knife to give a marbled effect. 


How'd it turn out? I am supposing: not bad.

For anyone who knows my DH, asking him for a food review is like trying to get blood from a stone. Early in our marriage, I'd wait for him to get take the first bite of whatever I had cooked or baked and then ask "so, how is it?" and he'd say, "it's okay". And I'd fly off the handle and say, "okay? What does 'okay' mean? Is it good? bad? horrible? too salty? too sour? too bland? too sweet? what do you mean it's 'okay'?!!" 

To which he would respond with another "It's okay" and then he'd take a look at my face, and say, "It's good" . 

Ah, how infuriating! 

7 years on, his response has not changed. But you know what, that little bit of predictability is  wonderfully comforting. 


Happy Anniversary. 







No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails