Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Hummus


Show me one person who doesn't like Hummus. 

It's perfect for dipping bread and veggies. And I love mine chilled, with extra olive oil drizzled on top. 

I've never tried making it myself before today. It's very simple to do it yourself, of course, and tastes far superior to anything you buy in a can. 



Hummus

15 oz/425g canned chickpeas, drained (reserve about 1/4 cup liquid or use 1/4 cup plain water)
juice of 1 lemon
1 clove of garlic, crushed
1 tbsp tahina (sesame paste)
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tbsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp salt

Place all the ingredients in a blender/food processor, except the olive oil, Blend till incorporated.
Add the olive oil and blend again till smooth. 

Serve with pita bread. 

I wanted mine crispy, so I cut up my pita bread into triangles and placed them in a layer on a greased cookie sheet. 
Drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled some Sumac (middle eastern spice) and mixed everything up with my hands. 
Then I placed the tray under a broiler for a few minutes until the pita was crisp. 








5 comments:

mangocheeks said...

Grapefruit.
Your right, I don't think I know anyone who dislikes hummus. Because of its simplicity and I always have all the ingredients in the house for this, its one of my naughty evening snacks.

Yours look especially good, with the crispy pita bread.

Peanutts said...

THat looks very tempting , the dip surrounded weth chips yummm,

Grapefruit said...

Thanks Peanutts.

Mangocheeks - I have to agree, it's the best snack ever :)

Rehna said...

the crispy pita bread looks so good with the hummus! The recipe looks easy to whip up in seconds. I'm going to use this as a starter for Safs upcoming birthday party!

Amanda said...

I've never had it wither... yours looks wonderful!

Blessings-
Amanda

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails