Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Spinach Mushroom Tortilla Pizza

 

I needed to make something simple and fast for the after-school snack/lunch today. 

It's been a busy day & I'd been out all morning. Once I was home, I hadn't the time or the desire to fix anything that required much effort or several dirty dishes. 

Pizza always fits the bill - especially if you have prepared pizza dough on hand. 

Which I didn't, but I saw the recipe for Spinach Mushroom Pizza on Bread + Butter yesterday and adapted it to suit my own needs. 

My version is a cross between a pizza and an enchilada. My son loves button mushrooms and I had all the other fixings so I got going as soon as we got home and had it ready in 15 mins. 


My son is going through a picky phase and is averse to anything green - so I improvised: I placed one jalapeno & cilantro tortilla (those are the ones I had) on a lightly sprayed foil-lined cookie sheet. Sprinkled about 1/4 cup of mozzarella, dotted with a little marinara sauce and layered torn, fresh spinach leaves all over. 

Covered with another tortilla. Sprinkled around 1/4 cup of mozzarella evenly, covered with a thin layer of marinara sauce .. added canned sliced button mushrooms . . a few spinach leaves ... a handful of parmesan cheese and another 1/4 cup mozzarella. 

Baked at 400F for 12 minutes. 
 
The cheese between the layers of tortillas melted and helped stick them together  which is all good, since it made the spinach invisible to my fussy child. On the surface it looked like a regular pizza with very crispy edges. 

And it was so good, I made one for myself (sans extra tortilla and button mushrooms)  with lots of spinach and a lot more parmesan. Yum.  








No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails