Sunday, February 21, 2010

Tres Leches French Toast


I am not a breakfast loving gal. 

Or in other words, I'm lazy and the thought doing of anything more complicated than drinking a glass of water as soon as I wake up leaves me winded. 

It has been the bone of contention between DH and myself. He loves a good breakfast ... and I don't love making it.

I'm just not a morning person. So I can't get more creative than setting down a bowl of cereal in front of him and, if I'm feeling very generous, once in a while I'll butter toast.

I know what you're thinking. But sometimes I do make a special effort and get creative. Lately I've had Tres Leches cake on the brain. Constantly and all-consummately.

I saw another blogger's Caramel Pancakes ...and the idea of combining milk & caramel was all the inspiration I needed to go ahead and create a breakfast version of my favorite cake .

French Toast is always a delicious treat, no matter how you make it. It makes you happy just to wake up, get out of bed in the morning and smile deep down in your heart. 

This recipe started out as an experiment because I wanted to see if I could make baked and stuffed French Toast with a Tres Leches twist. And it had to be overnight-french toast because Tres Leches cake requires overnight or at least 5 hr soaking. Quite convenient for me - as I have already established how lazy and unproductive I am in the morning.

It worked so well. And the addition of strawberries made it smell wonderful. 

This french toast doesn't need the embellishment of maple syrup, because it is so rich and has just the right amount of sweetness. 

But I couldn't leave well enough alone and drizzled it with my homemade Dulce de Leche anyway. 

Oh my. Doesn't that make you want to dig in already? In that case: follow me . .


The good thing about this recipe is that you can make this at the beginning of the week, cut into squares and it will keep well in the fridge for at least 3-4 days. So all you have to do in the morning is grab a square and eat it cold, (if you're lazy like me) or heat it in the microwave for a few minutes. 

It would probably freeze well too - again, you would only need to microwave it for 5 minutes.  



Strawberry-stuffed Baked Tres Leches French Toast

About 12-16 pcs, bread (I used almost a whole loaf of wholemeal bread)
6 eggs
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 cup evaporated milk/plain milk
1 cup sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup cream/whipping cream
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp salt
About a cup of sliced strawberries

Whisk the eggs, cinnamon, milks, cream, vanilla and salt. 

Remove bread crusts and cube bread.
Line half of the bread cubes in a layer (no gaps) in a deep dish (I used 8"x11"). 
Layer sliced strawberries on top.
Spoon about 1/4 of the milk & egg mixture all over. 
Layer remaining bread cubes on top. 
Spoon the remaining milk & egg mixture all over the dish. 
Press slices down gently with a spoon to make sure everything is covered with the milk mixture. 
Cover and refrigerate overnight. 

Bring to room temperature for 20 minutes before baking. 

Bake, covered, at 350F for 20 mins. 
Uncover and bake a further 20 - 25 minutes. 

Remove from oven and place the dish on a rack to cool. Let it sit 5 minutes before dividing into 12 squares. You could dot each square with a tiny bit of butter, if desired.
Place squares on individual plates and serve with fresh fruit. 

Or if you're like me - drizzle some dulce de leche goodness on yours. 







3 comments:

Peanutts said...

wow, thats quite an invention :). Must give a try, little guy is doing better :)

Grapefruit said...

Try it out & tell me how you like it.
Glad to know the little guy is doing better this week :)

Susanne said...

Yummy, what's not to like? French Toast is so good and then you are making it amazing with Tres Leches. Can't wait to give this one a go.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails