Saturday, February 06, 2010

I-scream




My toddler woke up this morning and the first thing she said was: "I want ice-cweam".

I told her I didn't have any and my suggestion "Let's have cereal first and then we'll go down to the store and buy ice cream, ok?" was met with a full-blown  interminably long mother-of-meltdowns (yeah, welcome to terrible 2's).

However, she managed to calm down long enough to make it through breakfast. I really didn't want to go to the store till later in the evening but I try not to say things to my kids that I don't mean or make promises I won't follow through on. I had figured, I would just get the kids in the kitchen after breakfast and we'd make our own ice cream. 

Think again: no cream, not enough milk, no oreos (for their favorite cookies & cream ice cream). There was still no way I was going to go to the store. We just had to make do with whatever we had on hand. Which was basically nothing. And then it hit me: I could make banana ice cream. 

All I need for that is bananas. And this is also something I have known forever but never bothered to try: after all, why make banana ice cream when there are far more exciting (and possibly more palatable) things to make. Such as Nutella ice cream, for e.g. I'm still sulking over my inability to make Nutella ice cream the day before  by the way :( 

Beggars can't be choosers. Banana ice cream it would have to be. 


All you need: 

a couple of bananas 

That's all. That's the only ingredient. 

I had several almost over-ripe bananas to which I also added 1 tbsp of honey on the off-chance that the ice cream wouldn't turn out sweet enough. 

Slice bananas. Lay the slices on a tray and freeze for about two hours. 

Remove from freezer. Give bananas a couple of good whizzes in your food processor and there it is: that's your super creamy banana ice cream.  


Kiddie verdict: my son didn't like it because the only kind of dessert he ever eats has to involve chocolate. But my daughter loved her 'ice cweam' and asked for more. 

Me: I could only think of all the possibilities for stuff I could add to make this into more of an adult treat.But I should save that for another blog post. 





2 comments:

The Purple Foodie said...

Your ice cream looks awfully creamy. Just feel like digging my biggest spoon right into that bowl!

Grapefruit said...

thanks :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails