Monday, March 01, 2010

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins - Baking With Dorie


This is the first thing that my baking buddy Susi and I have baked out of Dorie Greenspan's book Baking: From My Home To Yours, for our Baking with Dorie Challenge .

When I was starting out, I thought about halving this recipe because I wasn't sure anybody at my house would care for anything lemon-flavored. I was pleasantly surprised when no one turned them away and my kids even asked for more. 

The poppy seeds add an interesting crunch to these subtly flavored muffins. Topped with the tart lemon glaze, they're simply wonderful. As usual, Dorie Greenspan does not disappoint.

The only variation I made to this recipe is that I used white poppy seeds because those are the ones that I had on hand. Aesthetically, they don't do much for the muffins because they aren't visible. I sprinkled some on the top of my muffins before baking them just so that they would show up for the photos. Before using, I did verify through research online that they would not make any difference to the flavor of this recipe because that is the last thing I wanted. 
In this photo you can see the white poppy seeds : 



This recipe is supposed to yield 12 muffins but I got 10 which is possibly because of either the size of my muffin tin or the fact that I didn't divide the batter equally. 

The recipe can be found on Page 10 and 11 of the book. I'm reproducing it here:

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins

For the muffins
2/3 cup sugar
grated zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
3/4 cup sour cream
2 large eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 stick (100g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
For the icing:
1 cup confectioners sugar
2-3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice

Preheat the oven to 400F. Butter or spray the molds in your muffin pan, or fit the molds with paper muffin cups.

In a large bowl, rub the sugar and lemon zest together until the sugar is moist and the fragrance of the lemon is strong. 

Whisk in the remaining dry ingredients except poppy seeds. 

In another bowl, whisk the sour cream, eggs, vanilla, lemon juice and melted butter together until well blended. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and stir to blend with a spatula. Don't overblend - a few lumps are okay. 

Stir in the poppy seeds. 

Divide the batter among the 12 muffin cups. Bake 18 - 20 minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Cool the pan on a rack for 5 minutes before removing the muffins. Let cool completely on rack before icing them. 

Icing:
In a small bowl, mix together the icing sugar and 1 tbsp of lemon juice. Use a spoon to mix well and then add the remaining lemon juice, a little at a time, until the icing is thin enough to be drizzled over the muffins with a spoon.You can either drizzle the icing or cover the tops entirely. 

I iced only a few, because I know for a certainty they would have been rejected had I iced them all. 

For our next Baking with Dorie challenge (to be posted on March 15) ,Susi & I are making the Split-Level Pudding (pages 384-385). If you'd like to join in, please email me 

 







1 comment:

MaryMoh said...

Looks beautiful and delicious. I love everything about lemon. Love that lemony syrup .

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails