Friday, March 05, 2010

How to Make a Cupcake Bouquet

 

Ever wondered how to make one of these? 

It's extremely simple and I'll show you how. 

What you need: 

- a planter
- a styrofoam ball or blocks of styrofoam
- wooden skewers
- green crepe paper
- a couple of baked and decorated cupcakes

Here's what you do: 

- fit the styrofoam ball or blocks of styrofoam into the planter. Make sure it's a snug fit. Cover completely with green crepe paper. 
- depending on how big you want the bouquet to be, poke wooden skewers through the styrofoam to cover the surface. For this bouquet I used 11.
- In order to assess how many cupcakes and skewers I would need, I did a mock-arrangement with my cupcake liners before poking the skewers in.
- Don't use very moist cupcakes for this - the ones with yellow sprinkles that I used were quite moist and it was very hard to keep them from falling apart. The skewers would just break them in two.
 

- Now all you need to do is fit your cupcakes over the skewers. You can frost/decorate them either before or after you're done assembling the bouquet. 
That is it - it is that simple!

I made that bouquet a long time back, it was the first time that I had ever made a cupcake bouquet & I still have the planter because I picked all the cupcakes off it & didn't allow anyone to eat them. 

Why? 

Because I had frosted the cupcakes petal pink (to match the pink ribbon) and I used shortening instead of butter because it was a warm day; the bouquet was mostly for display and so I didn't want to risk the butter-based frosting slipping off. 

Before I even got to the bake-sale, just minutes after I had frosted the cupcakes,they turned from pink to this alarming shade of fuchsia! Strange, huh? I don't know what happened; maybe the shortening was no good or there was something wrong with the food color. I couldn't tell. And I couldn't risk letting anyone eat a cupcake and getting sick. 

However, it was so much fun to make this bouquet. It's a perfect gift - I can't think of anyone who wouldn't love to receive one of these for a birthday or anniversary.





4 comments:

Amanda said...

SOOOO smart!! This is a great idea! I have never seen one before!

Blessings-
Amanda

Susi said...

That is incredibly creative! I love the idea of giving this as a gift, it's like double homemade :o) Great tutorial as well.

mangocheeks said...

Thank you for the tuition, this is a brilliant idea. And in time for mothers day, just a shame I don't live near by. May have to wait for another reason to attempt a got at this. Thank you so much for sharing your creative culinary idea.

Sweet and Savory said...

This is not only clever but will make anyone happy. I like how you decorated them. I have a lot to learn from you.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails