Sunday, March 07, 2010

Garlic, Chickpea and Spinach Soup

 

I should call this 'clean out your fridge and pantry soup'. But it would be unfair to belittle a bowl of warm comfort such as this. 

It's late-winter in my part of the world now; it's no longer chilly and so there is no justification for craving steaming soups. Except that I needed some comfort; and I wanted to throw together a quick and sustainable lunch for myself and the kids. 
 
This garlic flavored creamy soup is uncomplicated & satisfying. Some things in life should just be simple, don't you think?
I got the recipe from a little cookbook I have called Great Garlic Recipes.
 
Garlic, Chickpea & Spinach Soup
Serves 4

2 tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 onion, roughly chopped
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander
5 cups vegetable stock (I used vegetable stock cubes)
350 g/12 oz potatoes, finely chopped
425 g/15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp cornflour
2/3 cup cream, at room temperature (I used light)
2 tbsp tahini (sesame seed paste)
200g/7 oz spinach, shredded
cayenne pepper
salt, and freshly ground black pepper, according to taste (I used stock cubes, so omitted the extra salt)

Heat the oil in a large pan and cook the garlic and onion for 5 minutes, or until they are soft and golden brown. 

Stir in the cumin and coriander and cook for 1 minute. 

Pour in the stock and add the potatoes. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the chickpeas and simmer for 5 more minutes, or until the potatoes are just tender. 

Blend together the cream, tahini and cornflour with the salt (if using) and black pepper. Stir into the soup with the Spinach. 

Bring to the boil, stirring, and simmer for 2 more minutes. 

Adjust seasonings to taste and serve immediately, sprinkled with a little cayenne pepper.






9 comments:

zlamushka said...

Heya,

So lovely to be here. My first time here and loving it. The pictres surely speak for themselves. Nice job :-)

Chickpea Spinach soup looks so good.

Susi said...

This looks great and comforting. If the temperatures don't start shooting up here I will have to squeeze this one in.

Grandma Yellow Hair said...

Good morning
I found your site through blogger help this morning. For weeks now I have been trying to figure out to change the fonts on my page tabs and I can not get help doing it. I noticed you had the same question did you ever get yours the way you wanted.
By the way I really enjoyed your site and will have to continue to stop by
Maggie

Anonymous said...

This soup looks good but you really should strongly consider getting rid of automatic music on your blog. It's pretty obnoxious AND makes it NSFW.

Grapefruit said...

Anonymous - I was actually going to get rid of it today and thanks to your comment, I finally did!

MaryMoh said...

Looks very delicious.....very welcoming and warming in this cold winter.

Anonymous said...

Love this soup!
Paul

Meg said...

This looks delicious! I think I'm going to go in search of a vegan sub for the creme and make it asap. Thank you for sharing this recipe. I blog a lot of food and if I decide to make it, I'll be sure to credit you as my source.

Meg said...

I was sort of obsessed with making this soup, so I ended up using low-fat coconut milk in place of the creme. It turned out fabulously. I lightly altered the recipe by using a bit more spice to suit our tastes. Here's my version crediting your site for the recipe: http://megscookingaddiction.blogspot.com/2010/11/garlicky-chickpea-spinach-soup.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails