Sunday, March 28, 2010

Salted Mandarins



One of my memories of winters back home, while I was growing up, involves sitting in the sun and eating sections of mandarins dipped in salt.
Each time I come across mandarins I am tempted to eat them that way. The flavorful combination of sweet and salty is a real treat for the palate. 

I would have never thought of dipping them in brine and now believe I will no longer eat them any other way.

This recipe is adapted from a beautiful little cookbook I own called Salt & Pepper. Try it out next time as a simple end to a meal, or all on its own as a snack. 

Salted Mandarins

1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon fleur de sel
2 mandarins, peeled and sectioned with pith removed

Stir the water and fleur de sel together in a bowl until the salt dissolves. Place the  mandarin sections in the bowl and toss well to coat. 

Lay the sections on a wire rack to air-dry for 5-6 hours or until their skins are tight. 

Serve.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

You are so dang creative! Every time I come here there is something new and exciting!

Blessings-
Amanda

Grapefruit said...

Thanks so much Amanda!

mangocheeks said...

Oh My goodness Grapefruit. I completly forgotten until I read you post. My maternal granma used to cut up various vegetables incl tangerines, mandarinss and douse them with a sour dressing called 'chaat'. It was so delicious. Thank you for putting up this recipe. I haven't heard of the book either, so will have a nose of it the next time I visit a bookstore.

Grapefruit said...

Wow - you know 'chaat'?
Chaat uses a special blend of spices called 'chaat masala' which should be easily available at asian grocery stores. You can make chaat by dicing any combination of fruits, squeeze in fresh orange juice and add chaat masala (and even a little sugar if wanted - to balance the heat from the masala). Toss it all to coat well, and then let it chill in the refrigerator for a couple of hours.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails