Saturday, March 20, 2010

My New Kitchen


Seriously: who paints the ceiling of a galley kitchen black? What were the ex-tenants thinking?!

I know this is not a food-related post, but it has to do with where I cook so I figured it was worth posting. 

This space is really posing some huge challenges for me. Having always lived in smaller homes, except for one huge house we lived in for a short while, I'm very good at maximizing and creating space. But ten days later, I'm still standing at the entrance to this kitchen and throwing my hands up in the air wondering how I'm going to make it work for me. 

It is beyond tiny. And that black ceiling is killing me. So are the black counter-tops.

I don't really have the option to get it re-painted  before next year  (and no way can I do away with those counter tops) because I doubt that the landlord will appreciate another issue added to my very long list of  changes needed/things fixed. Already the maintenance guy tries to either run the other way or disappear into the cracks on the sidewalk each time he sees me approaching. 

So how do I make it brighter and bigger, people? I need to do something less drastic than sawing my way through the wall to make the window bigger. Believe me: I  have to practically sit on my hands in order to stop myself from doing that!

8 comments:

mangocheeks said...

I don't really know what to say. Except paint the ceiling in white or cream for a start , it lighten the space.

Grapefruit said...

I know! However, can't get that done for some time yet :(

Sage Trifle said...

Are those walls pink? I think that could be a really pretty space. The main thing I see is that you need light. Maybe you could find some track lighting? Also, shiny objects, mirrors, and stainless bowls and pans can help. I can't wait to see it after you get it fixed up!

Grapefruit said...

Nope - not pink.
I'm not fond of the color pink but even that would have been preferable to the brown tile/black ceiling/black counters . . . :(

The mirrors/stainless steel bowls sound like a good idea. I'm going to see what I can do. Although I think I won't have any space left because I'm getting some extra shelves built on top of the existing ones.

I think I need an Extreme Makeover :(

Susi said...

That is quite the interesting kitchen ceiling. It does look even smaller with the paint job the previous owner did. How about off-setting all the dark dreary colors with lots of white? White canisters, maybe some white place mats to place appliances on? Or a few very bright cheery pictures if you can hang those?

Amanda said...

Why cant you paint? I would think that that would be the best alternative. Its not that hard!! Just watch a video on you tube for instruction and then splurge $30 for pain and rollers. I think you will be happier!

Blessings-
Amanda

Grapefruit said...

Susi you said it: 'interesting ceiling' lol.
Lets see how much wall space I'm left with after I get the new shelves in.

Amanda - can't paint because the landlord has to approve and get it done by his own guys :(

lifeistooshort said...

Hmm, maybe go to IKEA and go nuts with the extras. Like hang shiny pots and ladels on the walls and a bunch of bamboo and vases and whatever? You know how they do it....

Tee

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails