Friday, August 06, 2010

Mango-Almond Kulfi



I know what you're thinking, 'Mangoes again?'

I realize I sound mildly obsessed, working mangoes into every recipe possible. But it's August now, almost the end of mango season. And I'm reluctant to let go.

Since it's too warm to bake, I decided instead to experiment with making Kulfi. Traditionally Kulfi is made by cooking milk till it is reduced, but this 'cheats version' is ridiculously simple and very close to the real thing. Since the possibilities for playing around are endless, I worked crushed almonds and mangoes into this version. The result: fantastic, of course.

Give it a whirl!

Mango-Almond Kulfi

Add the following to a blender:

1 can (14-oz) evaporated milk
1 can (14-oz) sweetened condensed milk
enough whipping cream/half-and-half to make 1 liter
1 slice of bread, crusts removed
1/4 - 1/2 cup sweet mango
a handful of chopped almonds
1 heaped tsp cardamom, powdered  (or seeds from 8 - 10 cardamom pods, crushed)

Whiz everything together until blended. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze for 6 hours or overnight.

I sprayed my molds very slightly with cooking spray and dusted with ground almonds (used my coffee grinder for this) before pouring the Kulfi mixture in.

If you'd like to make a plain version, omit the mango and/or almonds. Personally I like it best the traditional way: with just chopped pistachios and cardamom.

11 comments:

Sage Trifle said...

A person can NEVER have too many mangoes. I've not heard of Kulfi, but it sounds like a delicious summer dessert and I love cardamom.

Lynne @ CookandBeMerry said...

I've never had Kulfi, but it looks so delicious. And has accessible ingredients. I have popsicle molds that are screaming, "Use me! Use me!" So now's my chance. Thanks.

Camille said...

So aside from a delicious popsicle-like frozen treat, what is kulfi? Where does it come from?

Grapefruit said...

Thanks for all your comments.
Well - I should have elaborated in my post: Kulfi is a Pakistani/Indian ice cream. It's very gelato-like and very creamy & rich. Traditionally, it is even frozen in a large dish and then cut into individual squares to serve. I find it easier to make it into popsicles because it freezes very, very hard. Besides, it's easier to eat in popsicle form.

Peanutts said...

can I have one of those please? maybe two more?

mangocheeks said...

Oh my goodness, I better put my skates on and get some mangoes in my diet. I missed out on them last year and don't want to miss them this year - what kind of mangocheeks would I be.

I love the kulfi and like you, I too would make the cheats version.

My Little Space said...

I don't mind having mangoes again & again & again! It just smell terrific! I'm loving your kulfi. It looks just perfect. Hope you're having a wonderful day.
Cheers, kristy

alice said...

This reminds me of a mango almond lassi. Looks wonderful!

tasteofbeirut said...

I used to buy kulfi at the organic store for a pretty penny, but i much prefer making it myself! This is a fantastic recipe! (the trick with the bread is common in Lebanese kitchens too)

lostpastremembered said...

Great recipe... I have never had this but the spices and flavors are spectacular...they look delish!

Elizabeth and Jared said...

I love mangoes! We're not far off mango season here in Australia either!! I love the speckly almond bits. You're a good mum!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails