Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Baking With Dorie: Milk Chocolate Mini-Bundt Cakes



First of all, I am so sorry for the belated post. My blogger account acted up last night and wouldn't let me publish on time.

That said, weeks' recipe was chosen by Jennifer, The Rookie Baker, and I enjoyed it more than I had expected to. I went the cupcake route (since I don't own a mini-bundt pan) and also skipped the swirl altogether. Un-frosted, these turned out to be a perfect treat. 

The chocolate flavor in these cakes is not as overwhelming as I had hoped for it to be, but they are wonderfully moist and have just the right balance of sweetness making the glaze almost unnecessary. I have to stress on 'almost' because I am sure that if I had gotten the glaze right, these cupcakes would have been even more wonderful. 

I tried, honestly I did. But all I got was an un-spreadable blob. Let's call it my first BFMHTY-fail. I'm sure there is a way to get it right, but it just didn't work for me this time. See:


Looks more like a thick frosting than glaze :(
But my daughter loved it


For the recipe, please head over to pages 188-9 of Baking: From My Home To Yours, by Dorie Greenspan, or Jennifers' blog and take a look at the BWD blogroll to see how the BWD bakers did this week.

Next up, we're baking Chocolate Chunkers (Page 70, BFMHTY) chosen by Laurie of Cookin' Up North. If you'd like to join us, please drop me an email at needfulthings at ymail dot com. We'd love to have you bake with us!

13 comments:

tina_bakes said...

You like this too!! (I am now convinced there is something wrong with me LOL).

Your cupcakes look very cakey, while my mini bundts were crumbly. I'm glad you like this cake. I have 10 more mini bundts just sitting on the counter.. !!

Grapefruit said...

Nah, there's nothing wrong with you! I also really wanted for these to taste like a bar of chocolate but didn't mind that they didn't. They're nice, mild-tasting cakes which I expect to make again.
Use your leftover mini-bundts to make chocolate trifle!

Sage Trifle said...

The cakes look good and I love those little helping hands.

Elizabeth Barbone said...

These look like the most perfect cupcakes ever!

I didn't attempt the "glaze" but while your didn't look like glaze, it does look good! :)

I have to say that the chocolate flavor wasn't pronounced for having a full 7 ounces of melted chocolate in the cakes. Perhaps this was because milk chocolate is so delicate?

laurie said...

The texture of your cupcake looks perfect! Mine seemed just a bit dry...but still tasty. I loved this bake...actually I love anything chocolate!

lostpastremembered said...

I think they look great with the little frosting beret on top... what can go wrong with a great chocolate cupcake!!!

Grapefruit said...

Thanks everyone!

@ Elizabeth - yes, it really was the biggest surprise of all that the chocolate flavor wasn't more pronounced. You're probably right that it's because milk chocolate is delicately flavored. I wonder if it would have been different if we'd used dark chocolate? In fact, am tempted to try it that way next time.

Peanutts said...

yumm, :)

croquecamille said...

Glaze problems or not, I still think they look cute! Love the contrast of the pink sprinkles on the dark chocolate icing.

Lynne @ CookandBeMerry said...

I love your first photo , up close and personal, with the sprinkled powdered sugar. I like seeing the texture. Beautiful.

Jencrafted said...

Many have complained about the lack of chocolate flavor on this one but I love it nonetheless. I especially like the texture on your cupcakes - looks soft and light, akin to my grandma's special cake, my favorite. And the last photo is simply adorable!

My Little Space said...

These look so tempting! I think I'll wipe up some cream cheese for topping. Hmmm...mm... yumm... Thanks for sharing such wonderful recipe and hope you're enjoying your day.
Cheers, Kristy

rebecca said...

I was just scrolling down your blog and realized I never saw this entry... they look fantastic! I love the frosting and sprinkles, so appealing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails