Monday, August 02, 2010

Baking With Dorie: Mango Crumb Cake


I'm back. The hiatus is over. And I've discovered yet another delicious way to incorporate mangoes into a BWD challenge. This week Tina of My Domestic Bliss chose the Blueberry Crumb Cake and I had no choice but to play around with the recipe.

I have to admit that I didn't plan this one. It happened quite simply because I'm back home after days, had no time for grocery shopping and mangoes and pecans were what I had on hand. I love mangoes. I love streusel toppings. And I love pecans. It couldn't go wrong.



And I was right. This cake is light and super-moist; the buttery, sugary, streusel adds a nice crunch. The flavors from the mango in the cake and the cinnamon in the crust came together to form a complex flavor instead of overpowering each other. For me - the streusel is the super star in this recipe. There is nothing I didn't love about this bake!



Thank you for choosing this recipe, Tina! You can find the recipe on Tina's blog, My Domestic Bliss, or on Pages 192-3 of Baking: From My Home To Yours by Dorie Greenspan.

Please check out the blogroll here to check out the other BWD bakers. Our next challenge will be posted on August 16, and it is the Brown Sugar Bundt Cake, chosen by Chaya of Chaya's Comfy Cook Blog. If you'd like to join us, please drop me an email at needfulthings at ymail dot com. We'd love to have you bake along with us!



10 comments:

tina_bakes said...

Oh my!! your cake looks super duper-deliciously moist!! sooo mouth-watering!! and I must comment on your photos - they always look crisp and true to life. You have to give me tips! ;-)

I agree, the streusel takes the cake for this one. Thanks for baking along! :)

Elizabeth Barbone said...

AMAZING! I love that you just used what you had around and, wow, did it work! YUM!

The photos are so great!

Welcome back home! The crumb on your cake looks wonderful!

iram said...

hi so nice to see your comment at my blog ,my o my ur baking pictures always make my mouth watery can i give you an advice you can open a bakery that will be even more popular then bread and butter and Rahat trust me .take care:)

Sage Trifle said...

I would love to have a serving of that beautiful looking cake right now with a cup of coffee.

Sweet and Savory said...

This is outstanding, fabulous, marvelous and all the other superlatives. I would love this. My husband just discovered mango and I want to use it as much as possible. Next store trip is mangoland.

Great job, Grapefruit.

tasteofbeirut said...

As soon as I get a hold of some mangoes, I am making this cake! Looks summery and fruity and just what I need and love!

The Rookie Baker said...

Okay, I want to go make this again with mangoes! That looks absolutely fantastic!!

Camille said...

Streusel is almost always the best part, isn't it? Love your photos - the cake looks so rich and moist! Thanks for visiting my blog!

Grapefruit said...

Thank you all! It tasted even better the next day & I'd love to try it with the blueberries next time.
Thanks also for the comments on the photos & Tina - any time! (re: tips!)

My Little Space said...

Oh my, this is just so tempting. Love the mangoes in there. You made it looks so good! Thanks for sharing. Hope you're enjoying your day.
Cheers, kristy

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails