Monday, May 24, 2010

Baking With Dorie: Tender Shortcakes



These baking challenges and this blog are turning out to be the reason why I have to hit the gym at 5 a.m. daily. Seriously.  

But does the guilt stop me from at least wholly consuming everything I make? Nah. You already knew that, didn't you?

This weeks' recipe was chosen by Susi of Susi's Kochen Und Backen Adventures & we're joined this week by two new bloggers who have joined our baking group.

I made these short cakes in a hurry this morning & was glad that it wasn't an elaborate dessert that I would have had to labor over.

I've never made shortcakes before, so I was a little perplexed over the dough which looked too crumbly and didn't come together as well as I had expected it to. I didn't want to overwork it, but had no idea if this was even what it was supposed to look like. 

So, I just took the plunge and baked a batch of 4 to begin with. And guess what happened: burnt the bottoms. I had better luck with the second batch which came out looking great and was only slightly scorched on the bottom. 

Now handling these cakes was tough - they were crumbly and using a serrated knife to slice them just didn't work. So I did what Dorie alternatively suggests: pricked with a fork all around and then just lifted the top off with a spatula & layered it back on after spreading the bottom halves with fruit & whipped cream.

For the fruit, I chose to use chopped mangoes with a squirt of lime (as suggested by Dorie on page 425) . Her original recipe asks for berries, but I used mangoes because they are my favorite fruit and it's hard to resist them now, with the beginning of mango season here. 


I also played around with the dough & took up one of Dorie's suggestions of adding powdered as well as candied ginger into the dough. And for me, the blend of flavors from the lime, mango and ginger were a real treat. 

All the shortcakes then  needed, was some simple whipped cream.


Please go over to Susi's blog for the recipe, and the blogroll here to check out the other BWD bakers versions.

Our next recipe, due on June 7, is the Lemon Cup Custard (page 387). If you'd like to join the challenge, please drop  me an email at needfulthings at ymail dot com. 



19 comments:

Talita said...

Love the mango cut! Sounds delicious these shortcakes!

Sweet and Savory said...

Mango is a great choice. Yours looks intact and delicious.

I have decided that crumbs are good. Great rationalization, since I had tons of crumbs.

tina_bakes said...

mangoes!! I would never have thought of that!! very clever of you!! :-)

I was clueless as you were over how the dough should look like, but we pulled through!! I can't wait for the next BWD bake...

Susi said...

Wow, Mango and Ginger, what an amazing combination that even "I" would eat. They look wonderful!!! This is why I love our group, so many different takes on one simple recipe! Love the pictures :o)

Susi said...

BTW how about a step by step tutorial on how to cut mango. It would be incredibly helpful for all of us "Mango Challenged People" out there since mine NEVER look like yours once cut LOL

Grapefruit said...

Thanks so much for all your comments!

Chaya - you're totally right, crumbs are good!

Tina - thanks! the mangoes were a last min inspiration. I was going to do peaches but I also had mangoes on hand and the latter wins hands down each time ;-)
The next bake (the custard) is an easy one, but also a pretty versatile recipe.

Susi - I thought your shortcakes really rocked!
Mango tutorial? No problem at all - If there are still any left in the fridge, I'll do a tutorial post for you ;-)

Jencrafted said...

I love the way you cut the mangoes! I have never tried shortcakes. Are they like scones? Or biscuits? Coincidently, this is on TWD's June's recipes, so my curiosity may get the better of me! Your mango shortcakes are definitely tempting!
Thanks for your email, which I didn't have the chance to get to until now. I hope your group continues to grow! Let's get everyone on the Dorie bandwagon!!

Sage Trifle said...

Mmmm, mango. One of the reasons I could never really adapt to the "local" food movement. Your shortcakes looks delicious and your photographs are gorgeous.

Amanda said...

Your pictures are fantastic!! You need to give me lessons!!

Be blessed-
Amanda

Grapefruit said...

@ Jen - how do I describe shortcakes, hmm. I'd say they're like biscuits - only sweeter and richer because of the sugar and fat content (from the butter AND cream). So they're kind of buttery and flaky.

Thanks Sage Trifle, and Amanda - you have got to be kidding me if you think *I* can give YOU lessons!

Elizabeth Barbone said...

Oh my! Look at those photos! They are great! Did you get a new camera or are you still playing with your point-and-shoot?

Grapefruit said...

Thanks Elizabeth! It's still the point and shoot. Just found a better lighted spot in the house to take photos in!

tasteofbeirut said...

These mangoes look so stylishly cut! Beautiful! Also the shortcakes are totally delicious and I want to grab one for my next snack time with a cup of tea!

Pam said...

oh, this look great and delicious, beautiful food and great recipe :)
xx

Peanutts said...

wow, love the way you cut the mangoes, unlike you my hubby is the one who is gaining the bulk, he polishes off all the sweet dishes.

s. stockwell said...

What a beautiful job cutting up that mango! great photos. Wonderful blog. Best, s

The Cooking Photographer said...

Sighh speaking of. I need to go running this morning. This food blogging thing is bad!

Your mango shortcakes look fantastic though! I need shortcake... Wait, no!!

See the problem?

lostpastremembered said...

thanks for stopping by my blog... your shortcake looks perfect... never tried a tropical fruit version but this one looks spectacular! thanks for the great recipe!

Brooke said...

YUM!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails