Thursday, May 13, 2010

Oh So Easy Homemade Cottage Cheese


Now why would anyone possibly want to make their own cottage cheese when they can easily buy it from the grocery store? 


Except - I can't. Because it's not locally available where I live and so I had to figure out a way to make it myself a couple of years ago. It is the simplest thing ever & I made it again just last week to use in the Hidden Berry Cream Cheese Torte I made for the BWD challenge.


All you need is milk & a few tablespoons of vinegar. Really - that's it. 

Homemade Cottage Cheese

1 litre milk (I used low fat)
3-4 tbsp vinegar

Bring the milk to a boil in a large pan over medium heat (it should reach about 120F).
 
Lower the heat and add the vinegar a couple of teaspoons at a time, stirring well after each addition.
The milk will get cloudy and the curds will start floating on top in large and small clumps. 

After you have added all the vinegar, remove the pot from heat and let it cool for around five minutes before straining the curds through a strainer lined with a cheesecloth.


When most of the liquid has drained away, gather up the sides of the cheesecloth and squeeze to get any remaining liquid out. 


Place the cheesecloth & curds back in the strainer and place over a bowl for 1 - 2 hours to let all moisture drain away. 


Use the cheese right away or store in an airtight container in the fridge.

7 comments:

Susi said...

I didn't realize it was that easy to make. I still think that you are Superwoman!!!

Jencrafted said...

Oh wow! Didn't know that making cottage cheese is so simple?! Now I don't have to skip recipes requiring cottage cheese and a run to the store anymore! Thanks so much for sharing.

Grapefruit said...

Thanks so much for your comments guys!
and Susi , you are too kind!

Sage Trifle said...

Who knew it was that easy to make cottage cheese. I bet it tastes a lot better than the commercial stuff, which has a LOT of salt. Where do you live?

Jay said...

Wow...so interesting to know preparing cottage cheese at home so delicious...
First time here...wonderful collection of healthy recipes you have. Glad to follow u. Do drop in at my blog sometime.

My Little Space said...

Oh wow, I always wanna make my own cottage cheese. And this is just as good. Going to try out tomorrow. Thanks so much!
Cheers, Kristy

Anonymous said...

I did this tonight because I wanted something extra in my lasagna. I used two cups of milk , 2 spoons of vinegar and 3/4 spoon salt . I was scared of adding the salt but it tasted awesome in the end that my 3 year old and I couldn't help but eating a spoonful of it! Best and easiest recipe for something I thought was not even possible to make in my kitchen, thank u so much for posting this!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails