Sunday, May 09, 2010

Cioccolata Calda - Italian Hot Chocolate


Real Mothers don't eat quiche;
they don't have time to make it. 
Real Mothers know that their kitchen utensils 
Are probably in the sandbox.
Real Mothers often have sticky floors, 
Filthy ovens and happy kids.
Real Mothers know that dried play dough
doesn't come out of carpets. 

Real Mothers don't want to know what
The vacuum just sucked up...

Real Mothers sometimes ask, 'Why me?'
And get their answer with a little
Voice that says, 'Because I love you best...'


Happy Mothers Day! 

Moms, treat yourself to some decadent Italian Hot Chocolate today - you deserve it. 

I made this today as requested by my son: 

Italian Hot Chocolate or Cioccolata Calda 
From the recipe at Bell'alimento

100g good quality chocolate with 70% cocoa or higher, roughly chopped
1.5 cups whole milk
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tsp cornstarch

Heat the milk in a small saucepan over medium heat till bubbles form on the sides. Add in the sugar at this point and stir until dissolved.

In a small cup, mix the cornstarch with a few tablespoons of the warm milk and return the mixture to the saucepan, stirring for 2-3 minutes till the milk thickens a little. 
Turn heat to low & add in the chopped chocolate. Stir, remove from heat and continue to stir until the chocolate is dissolved. 

Pour into cups and consume immediately. 


7 comments:

Magdalena said...

that is sth for my husband ! he loves chocolate....

Grapefruit said...

Thanks for stopping by!
I'm sure your husband will love this hot chocolate - it's quite possibly the best hot chocolate in the world!

Susi said...

Yum, double yum! I love the pictures, the poem and the recipe! Thanks for posting it, it brought a smile to my face :o) Happy Mother's Day!

Mary said...

I loved this post :-). I found your blog by chance and had planned only to say hello. I was, instead, lured by some of your older posts and stayed longer than I had intended. I'll be back as often as possible to keep up with your food and happenings. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Grapefruit said...

Thanks Susi! Happy Mothers' Day to you too :)

I have no idea what the source of the poem is - it was sent as a forward by a friend.

Thanks for dropping by and for your comments Mary!

Hazen Nicole said...

That looks thick, creamy, and absolutely delicious. A little late for me to be celebrating mother's day, but I think I'll make this soon anyway! At the very least, I'll make it for my husband and I (Italian Hot Chocolate is the new chicken noodle soup, I think!) because we're both sick this week. :D

italian kitchen said...

absolutely gorgeous dear ...loved it
pls stop by at my blog if u get a chance hosting a give away right now

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails