Friday, May 28, 2010

How To Eat a Mango


This tutorial is for my 'mango-challenged' friend Susi. She asked for a  step-by-step tutorial on how to cut mangoes after I put up post on the previous BWD challenge.
I have to admit, at the risk of sounding narcissistic, the mango did look pretty in the photo I took for the post. The one I have used today is a mango with more fiber so it doesn't have the nice clean lines the other one did. 

So that is step #1 : The choice of mango is important. Choose a firm, sweet mango with little fiber. Look at the stickers on mangoes when you're out buying them to see where they originate from. Mangoes from Brazil or Kenya, for example, are much like the one I used today and have a lot of fiber in their flesh. 

Small, pulpy mangoes will not work either if you want to cut them this way. Anyway, here we go: 

All I had was two mangoes. The one on the front is the one I chose for the tutorial before I realized (after cutting it) that I should have chosen the Pakistani mango at the back (which is what I used in my old post).

Cut as close as possible to the stone this way and please ignore the fact that I need a manicure.


Repeat with the other side.



Now, pick one half up in the palm of your hand and cut into the flesh (without tearing the skin) along the length of the mango.


Repeat by cutting along the width.


Now, just hold it from the sides and turn the skin out.



I know, not as pretty as the mangoes here but it's not too bad, right? At this point, you can slice as close to the skin as possible while holding the mango-half over a bowl and you will get perfect mango cubes. 

Or (and this is better) this is also a pretty way to present mango when you have company, since it can be eaten right off the skin with a spoon. 


I'm throwing in this next bit for fun. If you have small kids, here's a fun way for them to eat their mangoes. Cut all around the middle of a mango :


Then twist one half off. Here's what you will get:



Kids can eat out of their 'mango cups' with a spoon (you could even fill the scooped-out half with some ice-cream). I loved eating mangoes this way as a kid & still do! And so does my offspring:



11 comments:

Amanda said...

Wonderful tutorial... beautiful pictures!

Susi said...

I Love You!!! Thank you so much, what a wonderful tutorial. I already added a link to it in my Mango Salsa) :o) You rock!!!

Mary said...

What a great post. Thanks so much for the tutorial. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Magdalena said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial. Cutting mango is really pain in the neck! Your guidance will make this challenge easier for those who do not know how to cut poor mango...take care :)

Sage Trifle said...

Beautiful in every way.

F ë R n said...

Thanks for tutorial. I like that mango cut. I will try it soon. ^^

tasteofbeirut said...

I like both methods but the one with the spoon is my favorite!

Sweet and Savory said...

I learned a lot today, thanks to you. Now, to get that mango. I will have to take your tutorial to the store, with me.

mangocheeks said...

You know last year I did not get to eat a single mango. This year I intend to ensure my choppers suck the juice and pulp out. Yum yum.

Peanutts said...

thank you teacher ;) , i prefer the latter way of eating the mango, much more fun.

Om Lujain© said...

oooo.. yummilicious! Thanks for the mango tutorial! Much needed indeed! You are amazing.. can I come live in ur kitchen?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails