Monday, August 16, 2010

Baking With Dorie: Brown Sugar Bundt Cake



Chaya saved me the effort of making myself a birthday cake tomorrow by choosing this recipe for the BWD challenge this week. It's just what I wanted: simple, non-fussy and, judging by the deliciously caramel-sweet aroma of brown sugar and apples infusing my house, deeply comforting and flavorful. 

I'm afraid I can't say much about the flavors because I haven't sliced into it as yet - I'm doing what Dorie suggests and keeping it on the kitchen counter, tightly-wrapped. Till tomorrow. So that I can have myself a birthday cake. And I'm so sure it's a winner, like every recipe of Dories' that I've baked so far. 

You can find the recipe on Chaya's blog or on Page 179 of Baking: From My Home To Yours, by Dorie Greenspan. Be sure to check out the other BWD bakers here and here. This week we were joined by two new bakers - welcome Laurie & Rebecca

Our next challenge, coming up on August 30th, is Milk Chocolate Mini-Bundt Cakes on pages 188-9 of Baking: From My Home To Yours and has been chosen by Jennifer. If you'd like to join us, please drop me an email at needfulthings at ymail dot com. We'd love to have  you bake along with us!

16 comments:

Sweet and Savory said...

Happy Birthday. Enjoy your beautiful birthday cake. It is good.

laurie said...

Well, Happy Birthday to you! I can assure you that your Birthday cake will taste wonderful...ours is gone already!

tina_bakes said...

Happy Birthday!! Judging fronm what the BWD'ers had to say about this cake, am sure you're gonna love it. Mine's baking in the oven and smelling great!!

Enjoy your special day!! :D

Sage Trifle said...

afterwipThat cake sounds really good and I bet it would improve in flavor by waiting a day to cut it. The only way that would happen in my house is if I hid it from my husband! I always admire the beautiful textiles you show in your photographs.

rebecca said...

You will indeed enjoy your birthday cake! Hope you have a wonderful day.

therookiebaker said...

Happy Birthday! You will not be disappointed in your birthday cake...it was amazing! Hope you have a great day!

Grapefruit said...

Thank you for the wishes everyone!
My cake is still sitting on the counter and I cannot wait to finally eat it this evening!
@Sage Trifle - thank you (re textiles). Some of them are from Pakistan, the one in this photo is.

s said...

beautiful cake.

Pam said...

Happy Birthday! Your cake looks delicious! I'm new here and really look your blog! Enjoy that great cake!

Grapefruit said...

Thank you S & Pam - and thank you for visiting my blog.
I have to add a post-note because this cake is simply delicious. D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S. I'm sorry that I don't have a better adjective to describe it, but I just finished having my first slice and I think this might be one of my favorites from BFMHY!

Taste of Beirut said...

Happy Birthday Lioness!
This cake looks lovely and very tasty with that browned sugar goodness.

Gulmohar said...

Happy Birthday sweetie !! This sure looks wonderful and I hope you have a great b'day :-)

Indie.Tea said...

What a wonderful-sounding cake. Delicious yet not overly-fancy. Perfect for a birthday :)

My Little Space said...

Hmm...mm.... your cake looks gorgeous and scrumptious too! What a lovely recipe. Thanks for sharing, dear. Enjoy your day.
Cheers, kristy

Lynne @ CookandBeMerryc said...

Aren't you the lucky one to have a cake ready to celebrate. It looks delicious. Happy Birthday!

The Salty Pear said...

gasp. i want this now.
-mina

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails