Monday, September 13, 2010

Baking With Dorie: Chocolate Chunkers


Dorie says these cookies are fabulous - and so who am I to argue?

Between you and me, I can't stop snacking on them since I made them yesterday. They're insanely good. Almost like a fabulously fudgey-brownie masquerading as a cookie. With a whopping 19 oz of different kinds of chocolate going into the batter, these are a chocolate-lovers dream come true. 

Want to see what I mean by fudgy? Take a look: 
And there's not just chocolate - there are nuts and dried fruit going in there too. I mistakenly added 1.5 cups of whole peanuts instead of chopped ones, so there were a lot of nuts in my cookies, but I really enjoyed the added toasty-crunch and the saltiness from the peanuts. The only thing I would change next time is that I would use dried cherries instead of raisins because they would add more color and contrast in flavor. 

This was Laurie's first pick - thank you Laurie for picking this recipe! Please head over to Laurie's blog Cookin' Up North for the recipe. You can otherwise find the recipe on pages 70-72 of Baking: From My Home To Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Dorie suggests churning crushed bits of these cookies into home-made ice cream. So I made a pint of Dorie's wonderful & creamy Vanilla Ice Cream (Page 428 of BFMHTY) and added in broken bits of these chocolate chunkers for a twist on my husbands' favorite Cookies n' Cream ice cream. I'm saving it for him till he gets back over the weekend, so I have no idea how good it tastes. But by the looks of it, it's a winner.


Please check out the blogroll here to see what all the other wonderful BWD bakers did with this weeks' recipe. 

Next up, we're baking Banana Cream Pie (Pages 342-3, BFMHTY), chosen by Rebecca of Beurrista. If you'd like to join the challenge, please email me at needfulthings at ymail dot com. We'd love to have you bake along with us.

7 comments:

chayacomfycook said...

It turned out, I would cut down on the nuts. They got in the way of my enjoying the pure chocolate. Don't get me wrong. Those peanuts belong there and I know it but I didn't want anything to interfere with my chocolate bliss.

This was a great choice from our friend in the north.

Elizabeth Barbone said...

I love your pictures! When I set out to make this recipe, I was worried that the chocolate would be too much but, happily, it wasn't! :)

Sage Trifle said...

Wow! These are quite the cookies. Unfortunately, purchasing all those different chocolates is not in my food budget right now. I have cocoa on hand and semi-sweet chocolate and peanuts. Maybe I would buy some milk chocolate chips and use those three chocolates to make up the 19 ounces. Do you think that would work?

laurie said...

Seeing all the peanuts make me wish I had used them instead of pecans. Your photos turned out so good!

Although I'm really not complaining..they were awesome with the pecans,too.I meant to freeze some but that won't be happening. I just got home from school and already had 2!

therookiebaker said...

As usual, your pictures are amazing! I have cookies sitting on my counter right now, and I want to eat the ones on the computer screen! I love that you added them to some ice cream...I may have to try that.

Grapefruit said...

Thank you all! Sorry it took me so long to get back to replying to your comments.

Chaya & Elizabeth - I've actually had to give away half of my cookies because I could not stop eating them. I don't think I've ever loved a chocolate cookie recipe this much!

Sage Trifle - these cookies are so good, I suggest you wait till you're able to buy the other chocolate. All that chocolate does make this a bit of an expensive bake, but maybe you can make half a test-batch with what you have and then tell us how it goes?

Laurie - I'm sure the pecans were awesome, I was going to use them myself but then realized I didn't have enough on hand.

Jen - try them with the ice cream, I'm sure they're fabulous (I still haven't tasted!)

Beth said...

These look terrific. And I just bought some dried cherries to use in another recipe, so now I've got a good way to use the rest of them up!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails