Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Baking With Dorie: Banana Cream Pie



I have to confess that when Rebecca chose this recipe for this weeks' BWD challenge, I groaned a bit inwardly thinking we were tackling yet another super-rich dessert & I have the hard-to-lose weight to prove the damage some of these recent bakes have done!

However, I've never made a banana cream pie before so I was excited to try and started planning my bake over a week ago. I was a little torn between trying the original version & a variation I had dreamed up. I even asked Dorie for advice and she steered me back on track and urged me to try the original recipe and play around with it later, when I have more time. And boy, am I glad that I followed the recipe exactly - because this is not a run of the mill Banana Cream Pie: the pastry cream is layered over sliced bananas and is rich but not overly sweet - the addition of cinnamon and nutmeg take the flavor up a notch without overwhelming it. It is topped with a cloud of barely-sweet whipped cream with a hint of tanginess from the sour cream. All of that goodness scooped into Dorie's flaky good-for-everything pie crust : in one word, sublime. 

I apologize for the late post and am also sorry that despite all my planning, I waited until the 11th hour to make the pie and then I almost ruined it - just look at that pie crust: what is all that speckly stuff??! 


I have made the pie crust so many times for previous BWD challenges that I could probably make it with my eyes closed - but I messed up this time. I over-worked it and kind of burned it because I made the pie in such a hurry. My pastry cream was made a night before but when I got ready to bake the crust and assemble the pie on Monday morning I got a phone call from a friend and had to rush to the hospital within the next two hours : I had promised to be present at her birth & it seemed it was time for her to go. So I baked the crust, assembled and photographed the pie - all on fast-forward - before I ran out of the house. 

And then I went from baking pies to witnessing miraculous birth. What an exhilarating, intense, lovely and emotional day! 

Two sweet endings in one day. Can it get better than that? 



For the recipe, please head over to Rebecca's blog Beurrista, or pages 342-3 of Baking: From my home to yours by Dorie Greenspan. Thanks for choosing this wonderful recipe Rebecca!

Next up, we're baking Cherry Fudge Brownie Torte (Pages 284-5 of BFMHTY), chosen by me! If you'd like to join us for our baking challenge, please email me at needfulthings at ymail dot com. We'd love to have you bake along with us! 

9 comments:

Sage Trifle said...

I don't notice anything "speckly" about the crust. But I am amazed you were able to not only finish your pie, but photograph it, when your friend was about to deliver a baby. I would have been a nervous wreck! I can't decide which is more beautiful. Well, yes I can--it would be the baby. We are having a family gathering this weekend and I'm going to make this pie.

Grapefruit said...

Thank you for your lovely comments.
I photographed the 'good side' - the crust was dark brown and strangely speckly almost all over!
You will love this pie - I guarantee it. Happy baking!

Grapefruit said...

And btw - I *was* a nervous wreck! I had initially abandoned the pie, deciding to pick up where I had left off the next day. But with the wait before leaving the house, all I could do to help the jitters was work on this pie!

Lynne @ CookandBeMerry said...

This looks absolutely delicious! Banana Cream Pie is one of my favorites and yours looks so gooey and wonderful. Yum.

Jencrafted said...

Love that last photo of your luscious banana cream pie. I've never made this and the next time I get bananas - I always have some around but not this week - I will give this a try. And what a touching story! Two very sweet endings indeed. I bet this would've been a delicious well-deserved treat for the new mom!

Beth said...

What a wonderful day for you! Your friend's new baby is adorable!

laurie said...

Wow.... you have been busy! Your pie looks wonderful. I thought this was a fun bake!

rebecca said...

Your pie looks delicious! And the baby... so cute. Kudos to you for getting the pie done, and I'm glad you like it. I, too, with all my baking in the past 6 months, am contemplating what steps I need to take to limit the sweet intake...

The Salty Pear said...

So lovely, welcome to the world with a slice of delicious looking pie.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails