Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Scooby Snacks - an experiment


Meet my 2-yr old daughter: She's loves "Soogie-Doogie" (Scooby Doo) & is crazy about our next door neighbors' dog, Charlie. 

Charlie deserves a special mention here because he is the stuff all bedtime stories, bribes and disciplinarian actions are made of: "finish your dinner & Charlie will come sit with you on the swing" or "Charlie thinks you look so pretty in that dress, please don't take it off" .. and "Ssh! Keep it down, Charlie's napping and we can't disturb him". 



Other than constantly trying to appease "Charlie-Doggie", much like Scooby & Shaggy, my little girl will do anything when bribed with food - especially the sweet kind. 

I try to keep the tendency in check, but a treat once in a while is okay. This week I wanted to do something fun so I searched online for ideas for a  'Scooby Snack'. All searches pointed to the recipe here.

I couldn't be sure if this recipe was actually for kids or meant for dogs. Walnut extract and ground herbal medicine? In a cookie? For kids? 

I don't think so. 

The base recipe sounded mostly like any other recipe for oatmeal cookies and so I decided to play around with it a little create my own version of a Scooby Snack. 

I have lost my sense of smell and taste (again!) so  had to rely on feedback from my 5-yr old. I followed the original recipe - substituting applesauce for the butter and adding hazelnut concentrated flavoring instead of walnut extract. The recipe didn't ask for any baking powder, but I added half a teaspoon, and added 1/4 cup of semi-sweet mini morsels. 

We made a test-batch of 5 cookies. The end result: So-so. 

My son said he could not taste any chocolate. So we went back, chopped up a bar of dark chocolate and mixed that into the batter. The second test batch received better reviews because of the additional chocolate. But I'm guessing, at best - these cookies are just okay. Not really outstanding in any way.

I will re-visit this recipe when I have more time. I'm sure there must be a way to improve it and don't regret having made it - it was a good way to divert the kids with a fun indoor activity while it rained this morning and they weren't able to go out to play. 

The next time around, I want to make a crispier cookie since that is how I always imagined Scooby's snacks to be. 



For now, here's the recipe (adapted from the original here):

Scooby Snack

2 cups, all purpose flour
1 cup quick cooking oatmeal
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup applesauce
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp hazelnut flavoring (concentrated)
approx. 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate mini morsels and a 100 g bar of dark chocolate, chopped )

Beat the applesauce, eggs, sugars and flavorings for a few minutes to blend. 
Add in the dry ingredients and blend well. This batter is very, very thick and you might want to add a tbsp or 2 of milk for ease in blending. I didn't, but I will try that next time

I scooped out and rolled 1/2 tbsp-sized balls, flattened a little and baked them for 6 minutes in my Bakery Express cookie mould (which is so good that it deserves a blog post dedicated to its review - I've been meaning to get to it and will soon). 

When baking in a regular oven, preheat to 350 and bake for 12  mins.




8 comments:

Susi said...

LOL, I wonder if Charlie is aware of all of this? I think the cookies have potential but agree that the ground up herbs were kind of off putting. Did the original recipe call for chocolate?

Grapefruit said...

Poor Charlie can't get any peace now that we live next door and my daughter stalks him each time he leaves the house. lol.

No the original didn't call for chocolate, I added some for the appeal factor. Now that I've tasted the cookies hours later - they don't taste good. Not that I can actually taste anything, but I can at least tell that the texture is kind of rubbery.

THe recipe needs to be completely changed :(

Susi said...

So my guess would be since the original didn't call for chocolate and the strange ingredients they were indeed dog treats LOL
Just make sure not to give the chocolate ones to charlie as it is toxic for dogs

Grapefruit said...

Really? chocolate is toxic for dogs? Never knew that & distinctly remember a friends dog who loved it.
would it still be toxic if it contains cocoa powder alone? because the original asked for that.

I thought it was a dog treat but I did a google search and other sites that mentioned this recipe said it was liked by kids!!!!

How crazy is that: I set out to make cookies for my kids and feed them doggie-treats :P

Ah well, they seemed fine when they were freshly baked :-S

Gulmohar said...

Your lil one is so sweet and so are you :-)Dog treats liked by kids...lol..lol..

Peanutts said...

never knew dogs ate chocolate but you have got quite a reliable little taster

Grapefruit said...

Gulmohar: Thanks for stopping by!
I'm still getting over the shock that I am now the mom who feeds her kids doggy treats .
Honestly - the reviews on it elsewhere mention how it is a kid-pleaser, which is why I made it in the first place!

Peanutts: I never knew that either. I guess now I can't send the leftover rubbery treats next door to Charlie :0

Anonymous said...

The herbal medicine called for was marijuana, and yes it is a recipe edible for humans and definitely not for dogs coz of the cocoa - something in it is toxic to dogs, even small amounts can kill them. I always think that Scooby Snacks look like snicker doodles or oatmeal cookies but without the walnut extract (yuck). Am going to make some type for my 2yo DS birthday in July

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails