Monday, April 12, 2010

Baking With Dorie: Lots-Of-Ways-Banana-Cake


One of the very first kinds of cake that I ever made, years and years ago, was Banana Cake. 

It was out of a book that my best friend and I co-owned. Or she owned it and I borrowed it so often, that I began to think of it as my own. To cut a long story short, I was bitten by the baking bug back then and so, feeling over-confident and using my newly acquired 'skill', I made banana cake to take to school.

Everyone seemed to love it. Except a smart-mouth who said, 'You couldn't have made this. And it surely doesn't contain any real bananas: it's just banana extract'. How mean!

In the years between then and now, I've made banana cakes and banana bread dozens of times. But never without thinking of that smart-ass comment.

And I thought of it today as well, while I assembled the ingredients for this weeks Baking With Dorie challenge. 

I chose this weeks' challenge as well and I am so glad that I picked this recipe. Let me just say I love the dense sweetness of this cake.

I halved the recipe and made a single layer, dusted with icing sugar. 

The moment I smelled this cake baking, I regretted not making the whole recipe and smothering it with chocolate whipped cream as I had originally planned. 

It is wonderful on its own but begs for a scoop of ice cream.



It does seem a bit lonely out there on its own, don't you think? 

This cake is really good. 

Contains real bananas. 


Toasted coconut too ;-)


Lots-Of-Ways-Banana-Cake
(Pages 205 & 206, Baking from my home to yours by Dorie Greenspan)

2 2/3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1.5 sticks butter
1 cup light brown sugar
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 ripe bananas
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 cup sweetened , shredded coconut. preferably toasted.

Whisk the flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl. 

In a large bowl, beat the butter till creamy. Add the sugars and beat for a few minutes. 
Add the eggs and vanilla. The mixture will be silky smooth - add banana and lower speed. 
Mix in the flour and coconut milk alternatively, beginning and ending with the flour. Stir in toasted coconut. 

Pour into two 9" pans and bake for 45 mins. Cool for 5 minutes in pan before inverting on wire rack to cool. 

Dorie suggests lots of ways to serve this cake. I chose the simplest possible & dusted with confectioners sugar. 


The next challenge will be posted on April 26th, and fellow blogger Elizabeth has picked The Most Extraordinary French Lemon Cream Tart (pages 331 & 332) for the next recipe. 

If you'd like to join the challenge, please drop me an email. 

10 comments:

Susi said...

It looks delicious. Your very top picture is beautiful!!!

Peanutts said...

oh wow, looks nice and moist.

Grapefruit said...

Thanks Susi & Peanutts!

Amanda said...

Beautiful!! Isnt that funny how someone can make a simple comment and it sticks with us... FOREVER!!!

Blessings-
Amanda

Grapefruit said...

Thanks Amanda.
Believe it or not, the person who made the comment went on to become a very good friend later on!

Elizabeth Barbone said...

Wow! This looks GREAT! And adding a scoop of ice cream? Perfection!

Grapefruit said...

Thanks Elizabeth! Waiting to see what you did with yours!

Jencrafted said...

Your cake looks rich and moist! Wonderful!
I baked this today - had to find a way to use up the leftover bananas - started to type the recipe and decided to google and see if I could piggyback on other posts. What a surprise but so glad to find that there're many other BFMHTY fans out there. I'm fortunate to join TWD earlier but happy that new fans get to bake along with some new groups! Great work!!

Robin Lowry said...

When you say "add the butters" do you mean the sugars? I don't bring the hard back book with me when I comet to my boyfriends so I count on the internet to supply me with Dories' recipes, but in this case I think there's an error. I plan to make a buttercream frosting just cause it's more fattening! Thanks!!

Needful Things said...

@Robin - Hi! Thanks for catching my typo! Yes, I meant sugars.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails