Sunday, January 10, 2010

Roasted Red Bell Pepper Lasagne

Ok, so it's taken me just a little over a year to get back to this blog ... and I never did that cupcake challenge.. my bad. But I'm back now, and hoping to keep on blogging. 

First blog post, you say - and no photo of the actual lasagne? Here's what happened: the kitchen light bulb needed replacing this morning but I wasn't too bothered because my kitchen gets really good, natural sunlight for just between an hour or two,around mid-morning. And otherwise, there's light enough in there to find my way around till the sun goes down and it's completely dark. So I started taking photos of the Bell Peppers and suddenly realized I was all out of milk. So off I went to the grocery store & by the time I got back, natural light was fading fast. Then it was a matter of getting the cooking over with before it got dark and I couldn't see any more. 


Roasted Red Bell Pepper Lasagne

4 medium sweet Red Bell Peppers
9 Lasagne noodles
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tbsp olive oil (I used extra virgin)
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes (I used a 240g can without bothering to convert to see if that was right)
1 tsp dried parsley (Used about 2 tbsp fresh)
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp dried basil (skipped this because I didn't have it)
1/2 tsp black pepper, crushed (I used a lot more)
1/4 cup butter/margerine
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups low fat milk
2 cups shredded parmesan cheese (I used just 1 cup since it's all I had on hand)

Cut peppers in to quarters and remove seeds.
Place, cut side down, on foil-lined baking sheet sprayed with oil.
Broil 4 inches from heat for 20 - 25 minutes or until skin is blistered and blackened.
Immediately place peppers in a bowl, cover and let stand 15-20 minutes.
Peel and discard skin.
Cut peppers into 1/4 inch strips.
In a saucepan, cook peppers, and garlic in EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) for 1 min.  
Add tomatoes, parsley, sugar, basil and black pepper.
Simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.

In another saucepan, melt butter. 
Add in the flour till smooth. 
Slowly add in the milk and bring to a boil.
Simmer 2 mins or until thickened. 

In a greased 9x13" dish, spread a thin layer of the pepper sauce . Top with 3 Lasagne noodles (I used the instant cooking kind)

The recipe asked to spread 1.5 cups of pepper sauce on top of the noodles. Here's where I went wrong - I think I should have used a smaller dish. 9x13 was too large and I didn't have that much sauce left over. Or maybe, I didn't use enough tomatoes? Who knows ... 

I spread a thin layer of the pepper sauce, topped it with the white sauce, then 1/3 of a cup of parmesan .

Repeat layers, ending with cheese. 

Bake at 350F for 30-35 mins (or until it is bubbly), uncovered. 

Remove from oven and let rest 15 mins before cutting.

I love red bell peppers - esp. roasted red bell peppers. And so this lasagne didn't disappoint at all. It is smoky, and deliciously creamy and I can't resist going into the kitchen every couple of minutes and eating a spoonful. I don't think I can hold out till dinner time. Either that, or I'll eat it all and there'll be nothing left for my poor, starving family. 

Next time, I promise to take photos.








2 comments:

Kim said...

So far, so good! Keep your blog going this time. I know you can do it because this sounds delicious. I love the addition of roasted red bells. I ate leftover lasagna for lunch today. It's the perfect time of the year for a big luscious dish like this.

Grapefruit said...

Thanks so much for the encouragement Kim!
Btw - I love your blog and all the wonderful photos :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails