Monday, January 11, 2010

Quaker Oats Chicken Soup

Each time I have stayed at the hospital to have my kids, this soup was always served with dinner. I knew it must be ridiculously easy to make, like most arabic food, but never tried figuring out how to make it. I found the recipe while browsing Arabic Bites recently. 

I'm craving some comfort food today, without all the added calories. So I just had to make this soup this morning. 



I didn't make any changes to the recipe, except maybe I added too much cumin and so the soup is darker than it looks over at  Arabic Bites.

Here's the recipe: 

Chicken & Oats Soup

1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 boneless chicken breast, finely chopped
Ground black pepper, to taste (I added about 1/2 tsp)
Ground cumin, to taste (again, added 1/2 tsp. It didn't ruin the taste of the soup, but it turned it dark)
Salt, to taste (I added 3/4 tsp)
1/3 cup, yellow lentils
5 tbsp oats (the original recipe didn't specify what kind to use, so I used quick-cooking oats)
4 cups water 
Fresh parsley or coriander, chopped (for garnish)
Fresh lemon juice 

Heat oil & add chicken, cooking till it is slightly browned. 
Add all the spices and salt and stir fry for a few minutes. You might want to add a splash of water with the spices so that they don't burn. 
Now add in the oats, lentils and water. 
Bring to a boil and then simmer, covered, for 20 - 25 minutes. 

Garnish with coriander/parsley, add a squeeze of lemon and serve.
 







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I beg to differ greatly that most Arabic food is ridiculously easy to make!! This soup is interesting!

Needful Things said...

@Anonymous - Ok, let me re-phrase that and say all the Arabic food I've tried to make so far has been pretty easy. That said, I haven't ventured into much arabic cuisine in a long time.
Thanks for stopping by!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails