Monday, January 18, 2010

Habanero-Peach Hot Sauce


I got to bring back home a big box of these beautiful Habanero chillies  after a visit to a friends' farm last  week. 

There were so many of them, and other than myself - no one in my house is crazy about gut-burning chillies. I didn't want them to dehydrate or get moldy sitting on my kitchen counter, so I immediately put a large tray out to air-dry and I've frozen some (stalks removed, sliced in half). 
I love Tabasco Habanero Sauce, even though I can only stand very little  of it at a time. And I still had quite a few Habaneros lying about so decided to try and make hot sauce with them. I wanted to make a small test-batch. 


I got this recipe from the internet & now can't remember the source, since I copied it out a week ago and forgot to bookmark the page for later reference.I made some changes to the original recipe and have noted those in brackets: 


Habanero Peach Sauce


2-3 Habaneros, chopped and seeded (I didn't seed them & used 4 Habaneros - I like the extra heat)
1 cup chopped peaches, or 15 oz canned peaches (I used 3 fresh peaches) 
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/4 cup white vinegar
3/4 cup fresh orange juice
1/4 tsp salt
4 tbsp brown sugar (it didn't specify whether light or dark, so I used dark)

Whizz everything in a blender. 
Pour into a saucepan, and bring to the boil over medium heat. Make sure the kitchen is ventilated - the fumes from the chillies and the vinegar are a bit strong. 
Simmer 3-5 minutes.
Remove from heat and strain into sterilized jar (I didn't strain, since I like it chunky).

I think it would make a great relish over just about anything. And if you can get past the infernal heat of an Habanero chilli, you'd see that it tastes like none other. 








8 comments:

Erika from The Pastry Chef At Home said...

What a great combination of flavors! I visited the Tabasco factory in Louisina many years ago and became hooked on their hot sauces!

Grapefruit said...

Thanks!
I wanted to try mango-habanero sauce, but mangoes are out of season and so I guess I'll have to wait till summer for that.
Am also hooked on Tabasco. There was a time when I would sprinkle it on everything I ate ;-)

mangocheeks said...

That is such a brilliant shot. If I could, I would dip my finger in and have a taste. I love hot sauces and have not doubt I would love this one.

Grapefruit said...

Thanks so much mangocheeks :)

You ought to try making the sauce, it came out pretty good and tastes almost like the Tabasco version - just a little milder than that though.

Kelly said...

I just found your recipe as I was searching what to do with habaneros that we received from our CSA. I would like to preserve this as a gift...would this amount fill a pint jar? Do you know how long I should leave it in a water bath to can it?

canningfanatic said...

I want to make a mango habanero sauce to can -- so I can give them as gifts. Can I substitute mangoes for the peaches and enlarge the quantities of the ingredients? I am guessing to process this for about 15 minutes?

Carmel Brizzi said...

Looks great. So you don't have to hot water bath the jars or anything? I'm looking forward to making it. Is it freezable as well?

Needful Things said...

@Carmel Brizzi - sorry for the late response. I did do the water bath to sterelize the jars but I have not tried to freeze the sauce. Haven't made it in a long while, Maybe I'll try it and let you know!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails