Sunday, February 06, 2011

Nutella-Banana French Toast Strata



Can you think of anything more comforting than French Toast on a winter morning? Add Nutella and it goes from comforting to divine.

This is my entry for World Nutella Day which is the brainchild of Sara & Michellae at Ms. Adventures in Italy & Bleeding Espresso. Check out the Nutella Day Flickr Pool or the Nutella Day Facebook Page for more inspiration. 

This was a real treat - I added very little sweetener to the egg mixture so the strata was mildly sweet and even my drizzling it with cream & nutella did not send it over the edge. Perfect start to my day!


Nutella-Banana French Toast Strata
(I scaled down the recipe to make an individual portion today)

A loaf of bread (I used Multigrain), crusts removed & cut into squares or rectangular pieces
8 eggs
3 1/2 - 4 cups milk
8 sliced bananas
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp agave syrup 
Nutella 

Lightly butter the bottom of a 9x13 dish. 
In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, vanilla and agave syrup. 

Spread Nutella on half the squares/rectangles of bread and layer them in the dish, nutella side facing up. Layer sliced bananas on top. Spread Nutella on the remaining squares/rectangles of bread  and layer them on top of the bananas (nutella side facing down).

Pour the egg mixture on top, pressing gently with a spoon so that the bread soaks it all up. Cover with clingfilm and refrigerate overnight. 

Preheat oven to 350F. Bake strata for 35 minutes, uncovered. 

Let stand for 10 minutes. Dust with icing sugar & serve. I drizzled a little mixture of nutella & cream on top before serving.


15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks decedent and comforting , yum! Are you still based in Riyadh? If yes I would like to order some stuff. :)

tasteofbeirut said...

I know my kids would adore this! I tend to find Nutella too sweet. Great pic of the creamy luscious chocolate cream!

Mary said...

What an unusual but tasty dish. It really looks wonderful and is different enough that I plan to try it as soon as I have time.

Sage Trifle said...

Now there is a dish with a lot going on. It looks and sounds scrumptious.

Nammi said...

Hi!, wow thats sure to please my hubby's palate,he is nutella fan. would make a great desert

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Fantastic delite with Nutella GrapeFruit!
This look so good!

Om Lujain© said...

This looks delish... now I am kicking myself in the butt for being allergic to Nutella and Hazelnuts :(

Shelley said...

I missed World Nuteela Day- such a shame. Your contribution looks delish! I love bananas and nutella together!

Barbara said...

A great strata breakfast idea! I love things you can make the night before and throw in the oven in the morning. Your photos are perfect!

Rehna said...

Cannot wait to try this recipe! Looks delicious!!

Beth said...

That looks wonderful! French toast is such a treat, and adding nutella would be awesome!

rebecca said...

These look amaaaazing. Will have to try them.

Nammi said...

need some advice since you are a better baker than me :), was wondering if i can turn my brownie batter into cupcakes instead of a big cake. Want to make something for the kids in my son's kindy on his bday

croquecamille said...

I love breakfast strata,but I usually make savory ones. This sounds wonderful, though - I'll have to try it the next time I have some leftover bread!

Kim said...

Oh my gosh I hope you won a contest with this one. Your photos are gorgeous and the recipe sounds incredible. I have been trying to watch my sweets lately, but now I need to find a good celebration excuse so I can try this. It's a WOW.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails