Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Baking With Dorie: Coffee Break Muffins


It was my turn to pick the recipe this week & I apologize for not posting mine on time: I had un-announced internet outage for the entire day yesterday and it set me behind on everything. 

I baked these muffins two weeks ago and was surprised at the mild coffee flavor despite the whole cup of coffee that goes into the batter. They are moist & lovely on their own and especially so with a cup of coffee. But when I made them again yesterday, I felt they needed something extra so I threw on a mixture of chopped dark and white chocolate. The dark chocolate brought out the taste of coffee and the white chocolate added that extra bite and hint of flavor I was looking for. These muffins are so unassuming, so quick to put together and so good.

You can find the recipe on Page 15 of Baking from my home to yours by Dorie Greenspan. Please see the BWD Blogroll here to check out other BWD bakers. Next up we're making Cinnamon Squares, chosen by Chaya. If you'd like to join our baking challenge, please drop me an email at needfulthings at ymail dot com. We'd love to have you bake along with us. 


Coffee Break Muffins
2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup strong coffee, cooled
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 large egg
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract

Center a rack in the oven and preheat to 400F. 
Butter or spray 12 molds in a muffin pan or fit them with paper muffin cups. 

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, espresso, baking powder and salt. Stir in the brown sugar and make sure there are no lumps. 
In a large glass measuring cup, whisk the coffee, butter, egg and vanilla till combined. Pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and with a whisk or rubber spatula gently but quickly stir to blend. Divide the batter evenly among muffin cups. 

Bake 20 minutes or until a knife inserted into the center of the muffins comes out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack to cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each muffin from its' mold.

9 comments:

Bizzy said...

I agree with you on the add-ons. The extra boost makes a difference. Yours really looks like coffee.

Glad you have an Internet again.

tina_bakes said...

What can I say - great minds think alike!! :) you are right about these being unassuming - when I was whipping them up together, I almost felt bad for being too lazy to prepare them earlier! they came together in a jiffy!!

I love your additions of both dark and white chocolate!

Grapefruit said...

@Chaya - I added *very* strong coffee. I like coffee! And so I loved the color of these muffins too.

@Tina - ha! I had to really laugh at the coincidence when I saw your photos this morning. My post looks like a copy-cat version of yours ;-)

Thank you both for baking with me this week!

rebecca said...

Uzma, I'll be baking/posting later this week. Thanks for the hint about adding chocolates- I know I'll do that.

Yours looks delicious!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Got my post up:-)
The finished pics were all that were left!
Thannxx for soo wonderful a pick , loveeedd them and loved ticking off another muffin from the section!
I added strooongg coffee too but could the coffee flavor was very light , not that am complaining :-)ur addition of chocolate is perfect!

Beth said...

I loved these muffins too, although I made my own add-ins and substituted tea for the coffee. You just can't beat a great muffin!

Pegasuslegend said...

these look awesome!

Sage Trifle said...

These look wonderful. Although I am not a coffee drinker, I love the flavor and aroma of coffee. These muffins look like a good way for me to enjoy coffee.

laurie said...

Your muffins look amazing! I like your add ons!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails