Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Baking With Dorie: Cinnamon Squares


While I love both cinnamon & chocolate and don't mind combining them together in a dessert, this recipe disappointed me a little (Sorry, Dorie!).

I made the Cappuccino version suggested in the book but even with addition of extra espresso, the cinnamon flavor was too over-powering for my family & even myself. I liked the chocolate & crunchy-sugar-cinnamon-y swirl in the middle of the cake as well as the chocolate frosting & the cake was very moist. But overall, this was not my favorite bake from BFMHTY. Which makes me very glad that I cut the recipe in half and baked mini-cakes. Maybe I wold have liked it better had I made the original version so that is something I would like to try out at some point in the future. 


I was aiming to get mini heart-shaped cakes (despite the fact that I'm a Valentine Grinch), but I over-filled my molds and ended up with some mushroom-topped cakes that looked nothing like hearts. Oh well, better luck next time. 

Please check out Chaya's blog Bizzy B. Bakes for the recipe (or pages 210-11 of Baking from my hoome to yours by Dorie Greenspan) and the blogroll here to see everyone else's versions. So far they've all enjoyed this cake better than I have. Next up we're baking Brownie Buttons. If you'd like to be a part of our baking challenge, please email  me at needfulthings at ymail dot com. We'd love to have  you bake along with us!


5 comments:

Sage Trifle said...

You may have been disappointed in your cakes and true, they don't look like hearts. But they are very pretty. I would probably agree with you on the flavor--cinnamon and chocolate are not my favorite combination of flavors.

Bizzy said...

Grrrrr. I wrote something, was told, it did not go through but who knows. Will come back later to see if you got it. I did love these, though. Yours are adorable.

laurie said...

I loved all the cinnamon! Next time I'll try it with the chocolate..yours look so good!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

They dont look like hearts , though one does :-) but they sure look cute!!
I actually reduced the cinnamon a bit ,by a tbh in the batter i think and increased the filling by 1 tbh vanilla sugar so many thats why i didn find it too cinnamony!
Oh my baby ones , that the cinnamony sugar formed a nice crunch atop :-)
That tin is the silicone and metal one no?
I cant place the name now :-(
Ur chocolate toppin sure looks fantastic!
Happy day Grapefruit!

Beth said...

Mini-cakes sound perfect! Sorry you weren't happy with this recipe.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails