Thursday, November 25, 2010

Taste & Create: Aloo Fry (a Potato Curry)


This is my first time participating in Taste & Create & I've been paired with Padmajha of Seduce Your Tastebuds. Padmajha has a treasure of Indian vegetarian dishes featured on her blog and I would have loved to try some of the ones I've never heard of before. But I had to pick something simple due to time constraints & so I went with Aloo Fry.

This is a simple, flavorful side dish that requires little preparation. I followed Padmajha's recipe exactly and the only minor changes I made was to add a squirt of lemon juice to the potatoes at the end. The other thing I did differently was that I waited till the onions were light brown before adding the whole spices (mustard seed, coriander seed, cumin - and a pinch of kalonji/black onion seed, which was my own addition) - quite simply because I thought if I added them in the reverse order, the spices might burn by the time the onion was browned.

You can find the recipe for Aloo Fry here.

I figured Taste & Create was a good way to shake me out of my complacency & try out new recipes. I'm looking forward to my next challenge next month! You can find out how it works here.

7 comments:

Peanutts said...

yumm, potatoes are my favorite, be it fried, boiled, mashed , etc its the best :). your dish looks great!!

tina_bakes said...

these look soooo soooo good, I could eat just this with warm white rice straight from the rice cooker!!

Beth said...

This looks really good. What a fun alternative to the Thanksgiving meals elsewhere!

tasteofbeirut said...

I made a similar dish last night, Lebanese style; would love to try your version too!

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Oh i do miss Taste and create and must take part in the next round!!
I love ur choice of this delicious Potato fry, how yummy!
Potato is always delicious and u have a wonderful blend of flavors galore!
AM sure that squirt of lime was oh so good!

Gulmohar said...

That looks too good..Aloo fry can't go wrong..Everyone will love it for sure :-)

Hannah said...

Wow - that picture is definitely seducing my taste buds!
It looks delicious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails