Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Devils Food Cake with Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting


My sons' evolving preferences over the years have me confronting increasingly challenging trials in birthday cake-decorating. In fact this is the first year that I completely failed him on that account. It would have been so much easier to just pick up a cake from a bakery but I take birthday cakes very seriously and what I lack in decorating talent as well as punctuality, I make up for with the sheer determination to make my kids birthday cakes that they will remember throughout the year.

But despite my best intentions, I just couldn't deliver this time: there I was at 4 a.m., just having finished frosting a 2-layer 9x13" cake, struggling to 'draw' Ben 10 with tinted buttercream, and failing. Miserably. An hour, and several errors later, I gave up and scraped the offensive Ben 10 figure off, replacing it with candy cake decorations. I then dropped it off at the school, sending up a prayer that the cake itself would appeal to my picky sons' taste buds.

Once he got home from school, I was rewarded with the very rare compliment that 'everything about the cake was so, so delicious' as well as a request to make it again over the weekend. The second time around, I decided to keep it simple and made a 2-layer 9-inch cake. It took us a couple of days to eat through it, and it seemed that the flavors just intensified the longer this cake sat around in the fridge.

The cake recipe can be found on Gourmet here.

The brown sugar cream cheese frosting is a twist on the classic cream cheese frosting and is one of my favorites ways to frost cupcakes. It comes from Joy the Baker and it paired so well with the chocolate in the cake, that I may never use any other kind of frosting ever again!

15 comments:

crustabakes said...

oh my, i cant imagine having to decorate till 4 am! but i am sure the raves made it all worth it! I love brown sugar! and i guess brown sugar cream cheese should be a winner!

Peanutts said...

You woke up at 4 am!!! THank god you son loved it, ;) any left overs? would love a slice of that :D

Sage Trifle said...

That cake looks moist and delicious and the brown sugar cream cheese frosting sounds wonderful. What a sweet son you have!

Beth said...

That cake looks wonderful. Brown sugar cream cheese frosting -- how could you possibly beat that?

tina_bakes said...

i have not had a frosted cake in a long time and your brown sugar cream cheese frosting is too tempting!! what a great looking (and good tasting as your son attested) cake!

tasteofbeirut said...

It reminded me how I used to spend time making my kids favorite cakes; yours turned out real well and that chocolate texture under the yellow frosting is calling me loud and clear!

Hungry Dog said...

Wow, what a beautiful cake! And I love the idea of brown sugar cream cheese frosting. That's off the hook.

laurie said...

The things we do for our kids! That frosting sounds delish!

Jencrafted said...

Such is the devotion and dedication of a mother! The cake looks wonderful and your son loving it makes it all the more sweeter.
On a different note, thanks for giving me the name to the cookies. I think I've seen them on the store shelves but not sure if I've had them here; I fell in love with Lotus speculoos in you-know-where ;-)

Grapefruit said...

Thanks for all your comments, everyone!

crustabakes & peanutts - welcome to my world: If I have to do any cake decorating, I always do it late into the night or work through till morning. It's the only time it's quiet around here!

Beth & Hungry Dog - The brown sugar cream cheese frosting is really, really good. I've been using it forever for cupcakes but this is the first time I used it on a cake. You;ll love it- give it a try!

Jen - I love speculoos in all their forms (the LU biscuits I told you about as well as Biscoff). I brought back several boxes with me from Paris - only to find them on my first grocery shopping trip here ;-)
Doesn't that always happen though?

croquecamille said...

Brown sugar cream cheese frosting sounds pretty much perfect. Why use any other kind, indeed!

iram said...

hi friend hows life like always your cake is mouth watering.

Dede said...

That cake looks delicious but don't think that I could do have gotten up so early:)

Lynne @ CookandBeMerry said...

Your cake looks so delicious! My Mom made my birthday cakes as well, and they made everything so special. Your son is lucky to have you for a Mom.

Rosa's Yummy Yums said...

That cake looks so beautiful and delicious!

Cheers,

Rosa

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails