Monday, October 25, 2010

Baking With Dorie: Pumpkin Muffins



There's nothing better than sleeping in late on a rare morning, and then heading down to the kitchen to bake up a batch of muffins that you can eat straight out of the oven; snuggled on the couch with your cup of coffee.

That's what I did today - trying to stretch out the quiet contentment of the sunny morning before my toddlers' friend arrived for a play date. I had figured these muffins would be a perfect snack for the kids and so I sprinkled them with chocolate-covered sunflower seeds for toddler-appeal. It worked as far attracting their attention was concerned, but unfortunately I found both kids making a mountain out of crumbs a few minutes after they sat down to eat these muffins.. ! I guess you just can't win them all.

But that is not to say that these muffins aren't good - they are moist and have just a subtle hint of spiciness and mild sugary sweetness with an agreeable blend of textures ranging from the soft chewiness of the raisins and pecans to the pleasing crunch from the sunflower seeds. I liked that these muffins were delicately spiced,  tender and not too sweet - perfect with cup of coffee. And so much healthier than our previous bakes!

Thank you for choosing this recipe this week Elizabeth!

For a gluten-free version of this dessert, please visit Elizabeth's blog Gluten-Free Baking 101. For the original recipe, visit Chaya's blog at My Sweet and Savory or Page 13 of Baking from my home to yours by Dorie Greenspan.

To check out the other BWD bakers, visit the blogroll here. Our next challenge is 'My Favorite Pecan Pie' picked by Tina of My Domestic Bliss. If you'd like to join our baking challenge, please drop me an email at needfulthings at ymail dot com. We'd love to have you bake along with us!


15 comments:

Sage Trifle said...

These muffins sound delicious with the spiciness and the golden raisins. And yours look especially pretty with the chocolate covered sunflower seed decorations.






Dr.Sameena Prathap
said...

Hi,

The pumpkin muffins look yumm and beautiful...:)

Dr.Sameena@

www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com

crustabakes said...

the chocolate covered sunflower seed would have attracted me too! These pumpkins look wonderful!

Jay said...

Hy,
Thanx for dropping by...

The muffins looks delicious..drooooling recipe...with excellent clicks...:)

Cheers,
Jay

Tasty Appetite

Sweet and Savory said...

My computer is down, for the moment or moments, so I can't fix my mistake but I do apologize. I left the Dorie page on your site, out. I will fix it, as soon, as I am able to do so.

You always make our bakes more special than they have to be and it does make a difference.

♥Sugar♥Plum♥Fairy♥ said...

Oh grapefruit,i can see u enjoyed the bake too!!
We had someone over today and i saw how loved the muffins were!
love ur pretty cases too!!
One thing , how didn i get that muffin raised top?
Did i not fill the muffin cups correctly and was my oven not warm enough?
I wonder!!
hey next challenge is pecan pie?
i thought it was Brioche!!
Will catch on that!!
Happy day!!

Jencrafted said...

Your pumpkin muffins look not only scrumptious but extremely festive too. I'm partial to anything orange and love the special touch of chocolate-covered sunflower seeds you've added. Welcome Fall!

tina_bakes said...

i've never encountered chocolate-covered sunflower seeds before. they're too cute!!

i agree with Chaya about you making every bake special. thank you!! :)

laurie said...

Hi!

I enjoyed these muffins too. Yours look scrumptious!

therookiebaker said...

I love the chocolate covered sunflower seeds, and the cupcake liners. Your muffins look so cute!

Peanutts said...

looks great, I have this pumpkin cake recipe but have to adjust it as it uses rum , any idea what i can use instead of rum

Beth said...

I made these muffins too and really liked them. They're a perfect fall treat!

lostpastremembered said...

These do look like they would make hungry Holloween kids very very happy and a huge step above bought treats... great photos... love the color!

croquecamille said...

I didn't even know that such a thing as chocolate-covered sunflower seeds existed! Thanks for enlightening me. :)

Veronica Lee said...

Yummy!

Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.
Have a nice day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails