Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Whole-Wheat Waffles & Swallowing the Frog


The truth is, I've been kind of distracted lately. I'm burned-out and have the worst case of writers' block ever. 

I sit here facing my laptop screen & the words just don't come. I blame it on the weather, the annoying renovation in our house, and the endless academic writing. As far as the latter is concerned lately I'm so un-inspired there too. I sit and stare at blank pages until the last moment imaginable because I know I have to write my essay then & a late submission will mean a big, fat, ugly 'F'. At this point, when I'm so close to the end, this current strategy of procrastination is hardly proactive.

So, what do I do? Instead of writing, I head into the kitchen and mix flour with sugar and eggs to create comforting distractions. I do this almost daily & I take several photos. But they never make their way into a blog post. Because that involves writing. And I just cannot do that lately.

This week I'll have to swallow the frog: I'll push myself to blog about at least some of the things that have appeared in my kitchen the past couple of months. Maybe I can re-direct some energy here. It is most certainly needed because in past months my blog has begun to look like a shrine to BFMHTY alone. And, much as I love Dorie & BFMHTY, I'd really like to blog more often than the obligatory BWD bakes. 

Here are some waffles to distract you while I try & get my groove back:

Whole Wheat Waffles
(from the Nordic Ware leaflet that came with my Waffle iron)

3 eggs, separated
2 tbsp sugar
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla extract (the recipe didn't ask for this but I added it)
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder

Grease & preheat both sides of waffle iron on medium heat for 3 minutes.
Beat the yolks, sugar, vanilla & oil together in a medium bowl. Add half of the milk and stir.
Add dry ingredients and the remaining milk. Mix until just blended. Set aside.
Beat egg whites till stiff & fold into the batter.
Pour 1 1/4 cups of batter into the center of the waffle iron. Cook for 1/2 to 1 minute. Flip to the other side and cook 2-3 minutes. Remove gently with a fork & serve with syrup or fruit.

8 comments:

croquecamille said...

I love waffles so much, yet I have never owned a waffle iron. Someday...

And I think the best thing to do for writer's block is to just write, as you're doing. If you keep making yourself do it, the words will come back.

crustabakes said...

i really hope u get ur groove back, score those A's and write about all those flour and sugar mixings, cause i sure would love to read about them. On a side note, Great looking waffles, perfect for breakfast!

Sage Trifle said...

Maybe you need an inspiring getaway. . .

Grapefruit said...

thanks camille + crustabakes - that's just what i'm trying to do: write my way out of writers' block.
Rocquie: you made me laugh out loud. The inspiring getaway is just what is needed + i'll be announcing it soon ;-)

I Wilkerson said...

This is inspirational! I have only gone as far as using half whole wheat flour in my waffles, so next time will have to try this. Good luck with the writer's block--have you tried the old isolate-yourself-in-a-coffee-bar method?

Shelley said...

Welcome back! I go through writing blocks as well. I think we all do. Sometimes its so easy I can't type fast enough. Other times not so much. Those delicious looking must have provided some comfort, I'm sure!

Beth said...

Nothing wrong with a shrine to Dorie -- she's great! (Good luck with your academic projects.)

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

You did great on this post! For me, the best cure for writer's block is to take a break. Sometimes for a day or two, sometimes for longer. Hope you get past your writer's block soon. I enjoy your posts!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails