Monday, June 21, 2010

Baking With Dorie: Summer Fruit Galette


Ever since Elizabeth picked the recipe for this weeks' challenge, I've been constantly dreaming about this galette. I felt it was another very versatile recipe that could be varied in many ways. I dreamed up, in elaborate length, what I would do with it & was meant to bake the galette before I left for our short holiday. But with so many things to do before we left, the galette took a back seat and I had to bake it in a hurry this morning. 

I had already decided, before I left, that I would make it with pineapples. The other recommended fruits are in season (apricots, plums, peaches), but I found the freshly cut rings of pineapples so appealing when I was out grocery shopping one day that I decided right then I'd have to use them in the galette. 

For the jam, I used a thin layer of homemade mandarin marmalade and topped it with a generous amount of crushed Speculoos (my current addiction) & spooned over just a little custard before baking it for the second time.  For those who don't know what Speculoos are: they are traditional Belgian bisuits that are crisp, caramelized and slightly spicy. After eating my way through many, many Speculoos-flavored gelatos and ice creams, I have still not had enough and I felt the slight gingery-spiciness would go really well with the pineapple.


And now I wish I had some ice cream to go along with this galette that is so delicious, warm from the oven. So delicious, in fact, that you'll wish you had made enough dough for a 9" double crust. It made me wish, also, that I had enough time to make the ice cream I had originally planned to go along with it. A summer gallette does seem kind of lonely without ice cream. 
Thanks for choosing this recipe Elizabeth! For a gluten-free version of this dessert, please go over to Elizabeths' blog Gluten-Free Baking 101

Check out what the other BWD bakers have done with this weeks' challenge by checking out the blogroll here or here. For the recipe, please go over to Tina's blog My Domestic Bliss, or pages 366-7 of Baking: From my home to yours by Dorie Greenspan.

If youd' like to join us for our next BWD challenge on July 5 (Caramel-Peanut-Topped Brownie Cake, pages 264-5), please drop me an email. We'd love to have you bake along with us. 




13 comments:

Peanutts said...

yumm, send me a piece :D

tasteofbeirut said...

I just decided I will use you recipe for a peach galette; we got so many peaches from our mountain house, I need to use them somehow and this is the perfect vehicle to showcase them.

Elizabeth Barbone said...

Amazing!Amazing!Amazing!Amazing!

The photo looks *great* And I never would have though to make it with pineapples! YUM!

Amanda said...

Gorgeous!! Great job!!

Jen said...

I love how versitile this recipe is! The pineapple looks delicious!!

Jencrafted said...

Pineapples! This is unique! I bet it tasted exquisite, especially with the addition of Speculoos. You galette certainly looks scrumptious!!

Grapefruit said...

Thanks everyone!
Joummana - it will be great with peaches or with any fruit at all. It's an awesome recipe.
Elizabeth & Jen (jencrafted) - the pineapple was a last-min inspiration, I was originally going to make it with peaches. But it came out great & the Speculoos did lend a subtle hint of flavor as well. Totally loved this recipe!

tina_bakes said...

I am a pineapple fan and your gallette looks juicy and succulent!! the last two photos sure tempts me to make another batch of gallettes with pineapples!! I love how you always surprise us with your choice of unexpected ingredients :)

Sweet and Savory said...

Pineapple is a great choice. I would not have thought of it. I could make pineapple with my blueberries. Choices.....

Looks terrific.

lifeistooshortforlowfatcheese said...

"I dreamed up, in elaborate length, what I would do with it & was meant to bake the galette before I left for our short holiday."

You are so funny! And how do you stay so slim eating all this fantastic stuff you make??

Torri

Grapefruit said...

Torri - me and slim? Hello? are we talking about *me* here?
Like my best friend said to me today, I only look thin from very far away - like most elephants would ;-)

Lynne @ CookandBeMerry said...

The photo of your crust has my mouth watering! And pineapple is so clever and different. Bravo!

Sara said...

Mmmmm, this looks SOoooooooooooooo yummy! Delish! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails