Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Baking With Dorie: Cherry Rhubarb Cobbler



Last month all of us in the BWD baking group mutually decided that we needed to adopt a slower pace and bake only once a month instead of every other Monday. For those of us who are trying to cut back on desserts, this is a welcome change! 

I made changes to our baking schedule but I forgot to fix a typing error I'd made when listing this months' recipe. This resulted in a little confusion since I had typed 'strawberry rhubarb crisp' and everyone else in the group either baked the strawberry rhubarb double crisp, or planned for it. So this week we have two different recipes, depending on who baked what. 

I baked the cherry cobbler, replacing rhubarb with granny smith apples since I can't find rhubarb where I live. I made it in advance & we were travelling the next day so I did the math and made just 1/4th of the recipe. This was perfect because it made only two servings. And the cobbler was wonderful - as usual I loved the note of flavor that the addition of ginger lent to this dessert. The tartness of the apples married well with & was subdued by the sweetness from the cherries and both were cooked to flawless deliciousness under the little balls of whole wheat biscuit dough. 

Please head here to find links to what all the other BWD bakers made this week. For the recipe, go over to Ryans' blog The Behr Necessities, or Page 415 of Baking from My Home to Yours by Dorie Greenspan

Next up we're baking Creme Brulee. If you'd like to join our baking challenges please drop me an email at needfulthings at ymail dot com. We'd love to have you bake along with us! 

7 comments:

Tina said...

the balls, the balls!! wanna see more photos!! :P

I so didn't get the 'ball' that Dorie was talking about...and didnt have enough balls to cover so made another batch and flatten them to cover the entire fruit! little that I know they are supposed to be biscuit balls!! well, I did look at the next page - Mixed Berry Cobbler and used that as a reference on how my cobbler was supposed to look like..i could have had fun with balls! hehe

enough about the balls...it's good to be back and glad you're having a wonderful holiday!

Grapefruit said...

I'm guilty of flattening the balls initially too! And mine may have been a little dry because I messed up doing the math & just worked with whatever I ended up with. I also thought I had to cover the entire filling until I looked at the next page, hehe.
Good to have you back & baking with us!

rebecca said...

I love the photo you have. It's like I want to finish the act of picking up the spoon and put it into my mouth!

therookiebaker said...

Fantastic! Your photo is fantastic and makes me wish I still had some more to eat. It's so good to be back to baking with all of you again...I've missed it!

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) said...

Your cobbler came out just beautiful. I have actually never baked with cherries, but I will have to try this recipe soon. I enjoy fresh cherries so much that I don't have the heart to do anything other than enjoy them raw. But I will have to try this soon. It looks wonderful.

I Wilkerson said...

I do crisps but have never tried a cobbler. As soon as the apples come in, this is definately on my list!

traditional sweets said...

That sure is looking delicious. Thank you for sharing your yummy ingredient to us. I'll be looking forward for your next post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails