Friday, April 01, 2011

Curry-Palooza: Aloo Gobi


Rocquie & I have been discussing curries forever. 

A new cooking event/group seemed the best idea to take things a step further: Rocquie gets to further explore her love for Indian cuisine and I get to try out new things because I'm not entirely new to curries. So curry-palooza was born & we decided to blog about our endeavors in curry-making on the first Friday of each month. We're not cooking from any particular book and so far the only rules are that we take turns hosting the event & that we will blog once a month. I hope others will join us!

Aloo Gobi is an every day dish and I must admit that I usually turned up my nose at it as a very young child. Since then I enjoy cauliflower a lot better but have not attempted to cook this curry more than once and, needless to say, it was terrible the last and only time I made it. I use my Grandmothers' cooking as a benchmark because she lived with us when I was growing up and all the curries she made were wonderful. I never learned to cook from her while I had the chance and much later, I had to rely on her advice and instructions over the phone but could never quite get my food to taste like the dishes she had lovingly prepared for us. 

This recipe turned out to be like a deliciously warm, comforting hug: it is as close as can be to my Grandmothers' version & I was very, very happy to finally get it right. 
The recipe can be found here on Rocquie's blog Sage Trifle.


8 comments:

Sage Trifle said...

Your Aloo Gobi looks fantastic and I happen to know it was delicious! What a great start to Curry-Palooza. I can't wait to see what recipe you choose for next month.

Nammi said...

yumm perfect combo, cauliflower and potatoes!!! yummm

croquecamille said...

I absolutely adore cooking Indian food. Maybe I'll play along next time! I cook a lot from a book called Miss Masala, by the woman who writes the blog Quick Indian Cooking. (http://www.quickindiancooking.com/) I highly recommend both.

tasteofbeirut said...

Yumm..this plate looks like it is packed with flavor~One of these days, I will dive into these Indian specialties and there will be no turning back~:)

crustabakes said...

congratulations on getting this right. and you are right, this bowl looks as comforting as a tight hug :)

Beth said...

That looks delicious! It's almost impossible to reach the standards of our grandmothers' and mothers' cooking. All we can do is take their advice and make a path of our own!

I Wilkerson said...

Congratulations on reviving a family recipe! I think curries are a delicious way to get more vegetables , so I'll have to give this a try.

Cooking contests said...

I could eat that whole bowl, even if I didn't know what was in it. That photo literally made my mouth water. Thanks for posting!

Take care,
-- Chelsey

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails